[Grad-postdoc-assn] Computing Workshop on 1/31/2006

Christiane Jablonowski cjablono at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 18 18:41:23 MST 2006

Hi all,

did you ever wanted to know
- what the big computing platforms in NCAR's Scientific
Computing
    Division (SCD) are
- how to use these systems efficiently
- what a 'GAU' is and how to manage this important
computing resource
- where to get GAUs (NCAR's computing currency: General
Accounting Unit)
- where and how to store big data sets
- what a batch queuing system is (and how to use the ones
at NCAR)
- what MPI or OpenMP means (some basics on parallel
computing)
- where to find online information and tools
- who to ask for more help

Curious? Answers to these and other questions will be
presented at the Postdoc/Grad Students Computing Workshop
that is open to everybody who is interested. So please
spread the word, especially to new users!

     FL EOL Atrium, video conference
     CG1 3150, video conference
What to expect:
     An interactive session on a broad variety of
computing issues
     which focuses on your interests.
What to bring:
     Questions
Format:
     I will present an overview of NCAR's computing
systems which covers
     all the aspects mentioned above. This includes a live
demonstration
     of tools (like the SCD Portal) and web pages that
help you manage your
     jobs and GAUs. I would like to tailor the workshop to
your needs and
     encourage you to ask questions throughout the
workshop. In addition,
     feel free to e-mail me topics in advance that you
would like to discuss.
     You also have an opportunity to meet Dick Valent and
(hopefully)
     Ginger Caldwell (both are in SCD) who will be ready
to give you more
     information on SCD's Consulting Services and the GAU
Allocation Process.

You don't need to sign up. Just come to the workshop.
As an aside, please note that I will not discuss how to
run a specific model like WRF or CAM. The NCAR divisions
offer other specialized workshops for these topics.

Hope to see you on the 31st!
Christiane

Christiane Jablonowski
NCAR ASP/SCD