[GO-ESSP] Sharing UI components

Jon Blower jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
Tue Sep 23 06:53:17 MDT 2008

Dear all,

Following up on an excellent GO-ESSP meeting in Seattle, I've been
thinking more about how we can help each other to develop applications
for data visualization and analysis.  It seems that there is increased
focus on developing customized user interfaces for specific
applications, meaning that there will be an increasing need to reuse
UI components rather than entire systems.

I think it would be a good start to collect together some information
about systems that are already out there, perhaps in a "gallery" of
screenshots and links on a web page.  The page could include some
brief technical details, including details about how easy it is to
extract a particular component for re-use in other applications.  I'm
particularly thinking of web-based applications, but I see no reason
not to include desktop systems too.  What do others think?

If people think this is a good idea, how should we go about creating
such a gallery?  We have a Wiki that we could offer, but this would
require everyone to have yet another login.  A Google Group could be
an alternative, which would also provide a mailing list for discussing
relevant issues.

(By the way, will the slides from the presentations from the meeting
be made available from the meeting webpage?)

Best wishes,
Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
j.d.blower at reading.ac.uk
http://www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/People/Staff/Blower_J.htm