[GO-ESSP] Re: GO-ESSP Agenda

Steve Hankin Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 27 11:07:29 MDT 2006

Hi Dean,

On the telcon we agreed that the list of Day 1 presenters (see below) is
too long and we should try to thin it by

   1. moving presentations into sessions where they will be more
      directly relevant.
   2. removing organizations from this list if their representatives
      don't feel a strong connection to the meeting themes

We agreed that we ought to send a follow up message to the organizations
on the list.  Below  is a draft of that message (ALL: comments ASAP
please!).  Can you get this email out by tomorrow COB?  Call me if you
want help.
*
NEXT WEEK TELCON:  Armed with the responses from this email and the
comments provided with registration we will try to clean up the Day 1
agenda.*

    - steve

P.S. ALL:  In my humble opinion the statement of *Purpose *in the Agenda
is too long, too broad in scope, and in some cases unclear.  (I'm not
sure for example what the first question is asking.)  If anyone has the
energy to suggest a condensed version I think it would be a service to
the meeting.  (A cheap recommendation ... I apologize.  I'll take a
crack at it if no one else proves eager.)

    --------  Straw man email message:  (attach draft agenda to the message)

        Hello GO-ESSP attendee,

        You are tentatively listed on the GO-ESSP agenda as a presenter
        on day 1 under "Updates From Member Groups".  This list is
        overly long to fit the meeting schedule.  The GO-ESSP meeting
        Steering Committee is asking for your help thinning it down.

            * Which of the themes listed under "Purpose" in the draft
              Agenda does your intended presentation address?
            * Would your intended presentation fit well under specific
              topic headings elsewhere on the agenda?

        Please respond ASAP -- by May 2 -- to ensure that your
        presentation is well understood for the Steering Committee
        discussions.  Thanks for your help.

    **

**Agenda Day 1:

    * Updates From Member Groups
      /(presenters are asked to focus attention on  meeting themes if
      possible)/
          o NCAR
          o UCAR (netCDF, NcML)
          o NDG
          o BADC
          o PMEL
          o NOMADS
          o GCMD
          o PCMDI
          o PRISM
          o ESMF
          o ECMWF
          o COLA
          o CLIVAR
          o GEO-IDE (NOAA)
          o WMO
          o GFDL Data Portal/Curator
          o WDC-4-Climate (MPI)
          o  /.... others as requested through registration.  Length of
            talks based upon list of presentations - estimate 10 minutes
            plus discussion./

Steve Hankin, NOAA/PMEL -- Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070
ph. (206) 526-6080, FAX (206) 526-6744