[GO-ESSP] Proposed netCDF attribute convention for dataset discovery

Ethan Davis edavis at unidata.ucar.edu
Mon Sep 19 14:24:48 MDT 2005

Hi Bryan,

Bryan Lawrence wrote:

>Hi Ethan
>
>I've been meaning to reply to this ... so reminding me by sending it to
>GO-ESSP was a good thing :-)
>
>Firstly, I think this is a good idea.
>
>I only have one tiny reservation with the syntax, and that's where you use a
>controlled vocab, I think you should indicate the domain first then the
>vocab. So, for cdm_data_type, I think it would be better to make it
>cdm_domain: data type namespace
>cdm_data_type: from the namespace enumeration

There are three places we do this kind of thing.
1) "keywords" and "keywords_vocabulary"
2) "standard_name" and "standard_name_vocabulary"
3) "cdm_data_type" and "cdm_domain" (OR maybe "data_type" and
"data_type_domain")

First off, I like the use of "domain" better than "vocabulary", I think
I'll switch to that with keywords and standard names.
Second, any thoughts on how/if to allow the use of keywords or standard
names from multiple domains?
Third, any thoughts on enumerating the domains? (I.e., it would be great
if everyone used the same domain ID to indicate a given domain.)

The "cdm" in "cdm_data_type" stands for the Common Data Model. So, that
is the domain we were targeting though the enumeration is actually
defined in the THREDDS catalog spec. Generalizing to "data_type_domain"
would open it up to CSML feature types and such. So, I'll change these
to "datatype" and "datatype_domain".

>A more generic issue that is not solved by dublin core (which I can see the
>influence of in what you have), is that we need to think about authorship for
>data (and metadata). I would like us to be able to get to a position where
>the creator(s) of the data corresponded to authors in the traditional sense
>with contributors perhaps being the folk who did the metadata etc ...
>(not solved in the sense that it doesn't give guidance).

Yes, a few others have brought up metadata authorship as well.

>Anyway I plan (which means it may not happen) to write down some thoughts on
>authorship in this context, but I'd be interested in what you think and how
>you would play this in your proposed conventions.

I haven't really thought about how to deal with this. Our target was
focused on discribing the data rather than the metadata. Dublin Core is
pretty specific that it applies to the content or the life cycle of the
resource not the metadata. FGDC, on the other hand, has a metadata
information section. Of course, since the proposed nc attributes are
part of the dataset, the line gets kind of blurry.

So, currently, I don't think THREDDS or these nc attributes really deal
with describing the metadata (and certainly weren't designed with that
in mind). Though, you could use the contributor role to specify metadata
authorship. But to really deal with this well we would have to extend
this convention and the THREDDS metadata model.

Well, guess we'll have to think on this more.

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690