[GO-ESSP] Proposed netCDF attribute convention for dataset discovery

Bryan Lawrence b.n.lawrence at rl.ac.uk
Thu Jun 23 10:20:47 MDT 2005

Hi Ethan

I've been meaning to reply to this ... so reminding me by sending it to
GO-ESSP was a good thing :-)

Firstly, I think this is a good idea.

I only have one tiny reservation with the syntax, and that's where you use a
controlled vocab, I think you should indicate the domain first then the
vocab. So, for cdm_data_type, I think it would be better to make it
cdm_domain: data type namespace
cdm_data_type: from the namespace enumeration

A more generic issue that is not solved by dublin core (which I can see the
influence of in what you have), is that we need to think about authorship for
data (and metadata). I would like us to be able to get to a position where
the creator(s) of the data corresponded to authors in the traditional sense
with contributors perhaps being the folk who did the metadata etc ...
(not solved in the sense that it doesn't give guidance).

Anyway I plan (which means it may not happen) to write down some thoughts on
authorship in this context, but I'd be interested in what you think and how
you would play this in your proposed conventions.

Cheers,
Bryan

--
Bryan Lawrence
Head, NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre