[GO-ESSP] Setting up a GO-ESSP Portal re-use repository

Stephens, A (Ag) A.Stephens at rl.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 10:32:08 MDT 2005

Roland,

Glad to hear your positive response. I agree that we should explicitly state all dependencies and the implementation technology. Another spin-off from this might be that if you have encoded something in Perl, I might need a Python version but I can translate your code rather than starting from scratch.

Elaborating on your suggestion we would need:

MyComponent - v0.4
------------------

Browser compability:

NS4 - works fine
NS6 - works fine
IE5 - works, but values don't default automatically
Mozilla 1.2.1 - works fine
Firefox 1.0.5 - works fine on linux, buggy display on Windows

Implementation details:

Written in: python
Requires: MySQL

Tested with:
Python 1.5 and MySQL6.0 - works fine
Python 2.3 and MySQL6.0 - works fine
Python 2.4 and MySQL6.2 - works fine

etc etc

Note that by 'component', we can mean many things. The more dependencies, the less likely someone is to pick up and use an application. Hence, I think we should concentrate on relatively small components where possible.

Kind regards,

Ag