[GO-ESSP] Invitation to the next GO-ESSP Meeting

Chris Kerr Chris.Kerr at noaa.gov
Sun Feb 13 14:34:55 MST 2005

Dear GO-ESSP partipants:

As foreshadowed a couple of weeks ago, the next meeting of the GO-ESSP
community will be at the British Atmospheric Data Centre, BADC, on the 6th to
8th of June.  The meeting will be timed to start at 11am on the Monday, and
finish at 1pm on the Wednesday.

BADC is based in the Space Science and Technology Department of the CCLRC
(http://www.cclrc.ac.uk/), which is in the middle of the countryside, about
30-40 minutes drive south of Oxford and about 20 minutes south of Abingdon.
Some rooms have been reserved until the 1st of May at The Cosenor's House
(http://www.cclrc.ac.uk/Activity/CosenersHouse) in Abington and at the Oxford
Spires Four Pillars Hotel (http://www.four-pillars.co.uk/Spires/home.html)
in Oxford. You will need to book directly with them, and indicate that you
are with the BADC meeting; the meeting rates are £60 and £110 per night
respectively.

To help us with our planning, we will need you to register as soon as
possible at: http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/goessp_mtg/register.cgi.pl. Early
registration would be helpful because we would like to provide you with
transport on the 6th, 7th and 8th, rather than for attendees to provide their
own. Note that we will only provide transport from the two hotels mentioned
(unless we can pick you up en route). Public transport is available but is
slow and is also only useful if you are en route. More detailed local travel
information will be provided later.

Previous GO-ESSP meetings have been characterised by small numbers of
people having time to discuss issues in depth, and that theme will continue
this year. Accordingly, all institutions will be limited to 2 attendees, not
all of whom will get an opportunity to speak. If so desired, prospective
attendees are requested to indicate a one to two sentence summary of a
presentation topic at registration.  While short reports on the current
overall status of  major projects are welcome, presentations are most likely
to be accepted on  the following themes:

 - Data Modelling and Interfaces
 - Intra-Portal Subsystems (including Metadata Requirements and Access
   Control)
 - Inter-Portal Cataloging and Discovery (including more Metadata)
 - Standardisation (especially with respect to CF conventions and OGC Web
   Services)

In the event that the meeting is oversubscribed, the organising committee
(http://go-essp.gfdl.noaa.gov/contacts.html) will have the final say on
attendance and presentations.

Hope to see you all at a very productive meeting.

Christopher

Dr. Christopher L. Kerr
Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory
Forrestal Campus