[GO-ESSP] Progressing on the Numerical Model Metadata and further assistance requested

K.A.Bouton k.a.bouton at reading.ac.uk
Mon Aug 15 16:59:15 MDT 2005

Dear Go-ESSP-ers

Although we have been quiet, we have been working on the latest version of
the EarleySuite Numerical Model Metadata.

First change is that, based on many comments, we have renamed the
EarleySuite to Numerical Model Metadata -- NMM XML.

Having done that, we also:
2) made a new www site http://www.cgam.nerc.ac.uk/NMM/
3) made a rss-enabled wiki. http://www.cgam.nerc.ac.uk/pmwiki/NMM/
4) began expanding the NMM XML schema

For those of you who don't know, a wiki is a collaborative www site which
allows users, using password NMMw1k1 - those are'1's (ones) rather 'I's
(eyes), to edit the pages directly online, adding comments,
deleting/changing words, creating discussion pages etc.

The 'rss-enabled' means that with an rss-reader, like the SAGE sidebar tool
for those of you who use Firefox, you can easily see what pages of the wiki
have been updated since you last read it, without having to to go the wiki
site. http://www.cgam.nerc.ac.uk/pmwiki/NMM/index.php/Main/NotifiedOfUpdates
gives a set of easy step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Having worked a great deal on the ScienceProperties, we have started to
further define the TechnicalProperties, and the InputProperties.  Both of
these sections have all been expanded such that they now approach what we
believe to be a realistic description for the codebase and the model.  For
example - what defines input for a simulation/model? Initial/Restart Files?
Boundary Conditions? Physical Constraints?

So, how do we want you to participate/help?

First, go to the web site and catch up on what we have been doing.  The
schema for both the codebase, and the model/experiment are presented in a
variety of ways, through XML pages, through HTML and even graphically
http://www.cgam.nerc.ac.uk/NMM/xml/xml_graphical/NMMSuite.php.  Look through
whichever method helps you best understand, and view what we are proposing.

Then if you would like to contribute to the schema, or have ideas on how it
should be changed/corrected, go to the Wiki where the schema is given as a
text file and change it to how you would suggest. You can view what we are
proposing, and you can edit that proposed scheme via edit draft.

We would particularly like those of you who have a good understanding of how
codebase and model numerical representations (horizontal, vertical and time
representations) are defined, such as Balaji, to look at
http://www.cgam.nerc.ac.uk/pmwiki/NMM/index.php/Component/Numerical and
http://www.cgam.nerc.ac.uk/pmwiki/NMM/index.php/Model/Numerical and edit as
you see fit.

If you expertise/interest is elsewhere - edit away.  Feel free to create new
pages as necessary.

Katherine Bouton and Lois Steenman-Clark

Centre for Global Atmospheric Modelling (CGAM)
Department of Meteorology
University of Reading
Earley Gate
PO Box 243