[GO-ESSP] gridded data management systems -- converting to the Caching problem

Benno Blumenthal benno at iri.columbia.edu
Sat Nov 27 10:13:28 MST 2004

Jon Blower wrote:

> The key features of this system
>would include:
>
>1) Data would be stored in a single format but can be extracted in a variety
>of formats
>2) Data could be sliced and subsetted in all possible ways (e.g. extraction
>of 1-D timeseries, 2-D areas, 3-D volumes/animations, 4-D data blocks) and
>extracted at different spatial and temporal resolutions
>3) Data could be stored on the original grid (including rotated grids) but
>extracted on the grid of the user's choice
>4) The necessary projection and interpolation would happen on the fly
>5) The system would allow complex queries to be made (e.g. "Give me all the
>times and locations at which the sea surface temperature was greater than 20
>degC in the North Atlantic in June 2003")

The software we have developed (Ingrid), like the software Steve
mentioned, provides functionality like 1-4.  5 is possible, though not
how we usually make use of gridded data.  There are many other
functions/transformations which are more appropriate for sampled
continuous fields.

But more to the point, I think, of creating a broad-appeal software
project, is to broaden the problem to include converting the data from
its original source to the internal format.  Then you have a system that
goes from many sources, (included standard web servers) to many formats,
which is the standard server problem.   And then you are creating
software that can be used for caching, a key part in making use of
distributed data, which I believe converts the project into software
that addresses a widespread need.

Benno