[ES_JOBS_NET] Air pollution measurement post-doc position at the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS), Potsdam, Germany
Sean.Schmitz at iass-potsdam.de
Wed Apr 24 09:16:41 MDT 2019
Dr. Erika von Schneidemesser is looking for a post-doc to join her research group "Climate Change and Air Pollution" (ClimPol) with expertise in measurements of air pollution and an interest in science-policy work. (German language skills are required.) More information in the link:
*Research Associate (100%) (f/m/d) Atmospheric Science*
application deadline: 30.04.2019
If interested, please do not reply to this e-mail, but rather to the email addresses provided in the position listing.
The Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies e.V. (IASS) is an international, interdisciplinary
center of excellence located in Potsdam, Germany. The IASS is financed by the Federal Ministry of
Education and Research and the Federal State of Brandenburg and devoted to promoting science and
research for global sustainability, particularly in the areas of climate change, the earth system and the
development of new technologies and social pathways to sustainability. Further information about the
IASS can be accessed under www.iass-potsdam.de/en<http://www.iass-potsdam.de/en>
Applications are sought for the position of
Research Associate (100%) (f/m/d)
Reference Number: ClimPol-2019-01
The successful applicant will contribute to the project "Climate Change and Air Pollution:
Research Needs and Pathways to Policy Implementation (ClimPol)", working closely with the
group leader Dr. Erika von Schneidemesser under the guidance of scientific director Prof. Dr. Mark G.
The ClimPol project focuses on air quality and the connections to climate change and mobility,
working in the science-policy-society system. Regionally, the project activities are focused within
Europe, specifically on urban areas, often locally in the area of Berlin and Potsdam. In this context,
the primary aim of the project is to improve understanding of air pollution at the urban level, and how
this is connected to policy initiatives and local urban infrastructure choices. To support this aim,
stationary and mobile measurements are conducted using reference instrumentation, as well as small
sensors. The projects are often developed or conducted in collaboration with city governments.
* Air pollution measurements at the urban scale, including:
· Calibration of small sensors and reference instrumentation.
· Implementation of air quality measurement instrumentation for measurement campaigns.
· Coordination and planning of logistics for instrument deployment.
· QaQc of instrumentation during implementation.
· Organized notation of measurement activities.
* Regular downloading of measurement data, including back-up in an organized database.
* Data analysis using R, including application of environmental statistics techniques for uncertainty assessment, and development and application of machine learning techniques for small sensor data work-up.
* Contribution to the conceptualization of measurement campaigns.
* Collaboration with partners at the local, national, and/or international level.
* Writing and/or contributing to publications in different formats (e.g., peer-reviewed publications, policy briefs, the ClimPol project website, social media).
* Presentation of results at conferences, as well as science-policy events.
* PhD in atmospheric science or in another closely related discipline, with experience in air quality measurement techniques desired.
* Knowledge of atmospheric chemistry and climate change processes.
* Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies e.V. (IASS)
* Substantial experience in evaluating large data sets using R or similar language, including the application of statistical methods.
* Interest in combining research work with science-policy engagement.
* A high degree of personal initiative and excellent organizational skills.
* Excellent spoken and written English, as well as excellent spoken and written German due to the close interaction with city level and regional stakeholders.
* Ability to work independently and in an interdisciplinary team.
* Competency in MS Office.
What we offer:
* The opportunity to work in a dynamic, multicultural, inter- and transdisciplinary research environment in the field of sustainability science in general, and air quality in particular;
* Excellent contact with a range of local, national, European, and/or international organizations, research institutes, and think tanks;
* The remuneration will be according to the German public service federal employment system (E 13 TVöD Bund)
The position is a full-time position (100%) and to be filled by June 2019 or as soon as possible
thereafter. The position is initially foreseen until 31 December 2020, with the possibility of extension if
a further phase of the project is funded. The place of work is Potsdam, Germany.
The IASS seeks to achieve gender equality and diversity. We encourage applicants of diverse
backgrounds. Applications of disabled persons with equal qualifications will be regarded favorably.
If you are interested in this position, we look forward to receiving your application, including a letter
of motivation, CV and list of publications. Please submit your complete application, combined in a
single PDF file no larger than 5 MB, no later than 30.04.2019 to Cordula Granderath
(cordula.granderath at iass-potsdam.de<mailto:cordula.granderath at iass-potsdam.de> ) using the Ref. No. given above in the subject line of
Please specify in your application how you became aware of the offered position at the IASS.
For further information and details on this position please contact Erika von Schneidemesser
(erika.vons at iass-potsdam.de<mailto:erika.vons at iass-potsdam.de> ).
If personal interviews are scheduled, travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net