[ES_JOBS_NET] UC Merced Stable Isotope Lab manager position
skim380 at ucmerced.edu
Wed Apr 17 11:09:03 MDT 2019
The UC Merced Stable Isotope Lab seeks an Assistant Project Scientist to serve as the Core facility’s lab manager. Please feel free to contact me with questions or forward this posting to stable isotopists on the job market. The application link is https://aprecruit.ucmerced.edu/JPF00782 and details are outlined below.
The Office of Research and Economic Development is seeking an Assistant Project Scientist in the Stable Isotope Lab (SIL ) to lend expertise to collaborations and projects in the Stable Isotope Core Facility. The selected candidate will be under the general supervision of the SIL Director and the Core Facilities Executive Director and will work with considerable independence in conjunction with faculty, students, and researchers.
The candidate will be responsible for data generation and quality assurance/quality control for all SIL users, which includes the maintenance and troubleshooting of the stable isotope mass spectrometers and associated peripherals. An integral component of this position is administration and oversight and includes implementation of facility policies and recharge structure, delivering training and informal workshops; involvement in outreach activities within the university and community. The candidate will also publish work, seek extramural funding, and provide mentoring and guidance to postdocs, graduate and undergraduate students working in association with the SIL.
Finally, the position will involve working with faculty and other researchers to prepare methodology sections in grant applications, implement analysis plans, optimize techniques and analyses, and provide guidance to investigators on experiment design and analysis issues.
• Supervises operation of research laboratory and performs necessary maintenance and repair of laboratory instruments;
• Consults, supervises and coordinates the activities of laboratory users and support staff in experimental design, interpretation of results, and instructional goals;
• Contributes to original research within the lab, which includes: co-authorship on scientific publications, seeking external funding, and presentations at professional meetings and/or serve as a reviewer for grant proposals and journal manuscripts;
• Ensures regulatory compliance relative to safety in small to medium or single facility;
• Performs or supervises laboratory inventory and purchasing;
• Coordinates with business operations as a core facility at UC Merced (provides documentation for invoicing as well as determines annual and long term budget needs);
• Attends and contributes to UC Merced’s community of lab managers at core facilities, relevant graduate groups (i.e., QSB or ES seminars), and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
To be considered for the position, a Ph.D. degree with 2 years of prior experience in stable isotope analysis, or related field, is required. Applicants should have a record of academic accomplishments including contributions to published or in-press research and a demonstrated record of university and/or public service. Given the nature of samples analyzed at the UC Merced Stable Isotope Lab, knowledge related to soils and/or ecology is preferred. Prior experience with gas chromatography and compound specific isotope analysis is also desirable.
Interested applicants are required to submit 1) a cover letter briefly describing experience and interest in position, 2) Curriculum Vitae including employment history, education, training, and publications, and 3) a list of two references minimum with contact information including mailing address, phone number and e-mail address; 4) a Diversity Statement relating to experiences and efforts towards diversity, equity, and inclusion within professional settings; this will be submitted through the recruit system.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit an application as soon as possible; review of applications will be immediately. Position is open until filled with a final closing date of 09/01/2019.
The University of California, Merced is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff, and students. The University is supportive of dual career couples.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net