[ES_JOBS_NET] Collection Manager, Vertebrate Paleontology - Yale Peabody Museum - 54457BR
Yale Ad Request
ad.request at yale.edu
Fri Apr 5 08:04:28 MDT 2019
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
Reporting to the Curator-in-Charge of the Division, under the direction of Vertebrate Paleontology (VP) Curators, and in conjunction with the Director of Collections and Research, the VP Collection Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the VP Division, with the primary goal of promoting the use, maintenance, and growth of Vertebrate Paleontology collections at the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History (YPM).
* Manages all aspects of specimen loans, including consultation with Preparation Lab to ensure safe packing and shipping, and tracks internal and external usage statistics, including frequency of taxon/specimen use.
* Manages the housing of specimens and the arrangement of collections for long-term preservation and usefulness; oversees collections facilities, access requests, and security.
* Oversees cataloging and digitization efforts for incoming collections, backlogs, loans, and research or teaching requests; promotes dissemination of specimen information through on-line collections portals including image databases and 3-D libraries.
* Provides taxonomic identifications of specimens and assesses their associated data for accuracy and historical context, including promoting continuous upgrades to specimen identifications and nomenclature.
* Oversees efforts to improve specimen organization, preservation, and conservation, in consultation with the Chief Preparator.
* Manages specimen acquisition, accessioning, permitting and reporting processes associated with acquisitions, incoming collections; manages international, federal and state compliance issues related to collecting, import/export, and transportation of collections for acquisitions and loans.
* Coordinates with Development staff on fund-raising opportunities; writes collections-improvement grants to improve curation, accessibility, and preservation of VP collections.
* Plans and develops exhibits, including writing interpretive labels, and assists with selecting specimens for display; consults with Chief Preparator on specimen preparation, mount making, exhibit maintenance (e.g., cleaning, repair) and installation.
* Leads field expeditions, where 3-5 mile hikes over rough terrain are common.
* Uses various industrial equipment to conduct duties. Operates gas-powered and pneumatic saws, jack hammers, and tools for removal of rock matrix in the field and laboratory.
* Represents VP Division on YPM committees.
The Peabody Museum is preparing to embark on a four-year expansion project, thanks to a $160 million gift made by Edward P. Bass '67. The project will allow the Peabody to add 50% more gallery space and will enhance the experience of museum-goers, students and researchers alike. For more information on the expansion project, please visit http://peabodyevolved.yale.edu/.
Required Education and Experience:
Master's degree in a related field and three years of museum related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Administrative, management, and supervisory skills.
* Knowledge of vertebrate anatomy, systematics, and fossil record.
* Knowledge of conservation principles, procedures, methods, and materials.
* Knowledge of collection databasing, imaging, and workflows. Knowledge of fieldwork techniques.
* Oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently.
* Preferred Education and Experience: Advanced degree preferred, preferably in a field related to vertebrate paleontology. At least three years' experience in a museum environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, in a field related to vertebrate paleontology. Valid motor vehicle license.
For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/2HA1yiz. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 54457_Flyer 2.pdf
Size: 461581 bytes
Desc: 54457_Flyer 2.pdf
More information about the Es_jobs_net