[ES_JOBS_NET] Post-doctoral Associate position at NASA/GSFC
Getirana, Augusto (GSFC-617.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND]
augusto.getirana at nasa.gov
Fri Nov 30 08:16:16 MST 2018
Starting Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Closing Date: Monday, December 31, 2018
Duties: The University of Maryland/Earth System Science Interdisciplinary Center (UMD/ESSIC) has an opening for a Post-doctoral Associate in the framework of multiple NASA-funded projects. The successful candidate will be working full time at the Hydrological Sciences Laboratory at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, MD. In these projects, we focus on (1) the development of land surface models and the global scale Hydrological Model and Analysis Platform (HyMAP) river routing scheme, including the implementation of anthropogenic activities and evaluation of impacts on the water and energy cycles, (2) multivariate data assimilation, including GRACE-based terrestrial water storage, soil moisture and radar altimetry data, (3) Extreme hydrological event (droughts and floods) forecasts and (4) Applied sciences and capacity building with partners in West Africa. The developments will be performed within the NASA Land Information System (LIS) and will mostly focus on the improvement of model parameters and physics representation, with especial attention to particular hydroclimatic processes in the Amazon and Nile Rivers, and West Africa.
* Initial implementation and evaluation of land surface models;
* Implementation and evaluation multivariate data assimilation, using GRACE, satellite-based soil moisture and radar altimetry;
* Implementation of reservoir operation and irrigation schemes and assessment of impacts of human activities on water and energy cycles.
* The candidate must have advanced experience in land surface and hydrological modeling, and model development;
* Familiarity with satellite datasets, in particular GRACE TWS and radar altimetry;
* Experience with data assimilation is a plus;
* Proficiency with Fortran and Unix is required;
* It is desirable that the candidate has a PhD in engineering, hydrology, atmospheric science, geophysics, or a related discipline;
* The individual will be expected to present results in peer-reviewed publications and scientific presentations, and writing and reviewing technical reports;
* Education: PhD.
* US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Visa holder from a (State Dept determined) non-designated country
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a CV with a list of at least 3 professional references and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the posted requirements to anegri at essic.umd.edu<mailto:anegri at essic.umd.edu>.
THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net