[ES_JOBS_NET] Postdoctoral Appointee-Physics/Modeling & Simulation, hydrodynamics and radiation transport, Sandia National Laboratory, NM
Christine.Wiedinmyer at Colorado.EDU
Fri Jul 20 09:03:28 MDT 2018
Postdoctoral Appointee-Physics/Modeling & Simulation
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a POSTDOCTORAL APPOINTEE
As a R&D Physicist, you will solve complex multi-physics problems primarily in the areas of hydrodynamics and radiation transport. You will need a strong theoretical understanding to properly utilize in-house computational simulation tools. To be a well-rounded analyst, you will also need programming skills, an understanding of model and code verification and validation techniques, and familiarity with using High Performance Computing systems. If you have an interest, there are related needs in the department for knowledge in areas of atmospheric transport, quantum chemistry, and non-local thermodynamic equilibrium physics.
You will be expected to mentor under more experienced staff and to produce high-quality presentations and reports. Minimal travel will be needed.
Qualifications We Require
* PhD in physics or a related discipline obtained within the last 5 years
* Experience in computational simulation of hydrodynamics or radiation transport
* Programming experience, including one or more of the following: C++, Python, Matlab, FORTRAN
* Ability and willingness to obtain and maintain a required US DOE Q security clearance.
Qualifications We Desire
* High level of academic success in undergraduate and graduate programs
* Willingness and ability to learn new programming or scripting languages
* Knowledge and interest in atmospheric propagation, quantum chemistry, or non-local thermodynamic equilibrium physics
* Experience with parallel programming in high performance computing environments
* Experience with software debugging (e.g. Totalview and/or DDT) and code profiling tools (e.g. map)
* Experience with V&V techniques and uncertainty quantification methodologies
* Ability to perform independent research
* Excellent communications skills with experience in giving presentations, constructively interacting with coworkers, and preparing peer reviewed publications;
* Ability to work effectively in a team in various roles (leader and group member);
* A current DOE Q clearance or Top Secret DoD Clearance. In addition, ability and willingness to obtain a SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test
About Our Team
The department serves as a Laboratory-wide R&D resource for computational simulation of nuclear detonation signature development, propagation, and detection. We model a broad range of nuclear weapon effects for national security customers and concentrate on optical, ionizing radiation, and radio frequency phenomena for the remote sensing mission of the United States Nuclear Detonation Detection System (USNDS). We develop and use a variety of specialized in-house codes and algorithms to conduct our work.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
* Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
* Extraordinary co-workers
* Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
* Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
* Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
* These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net