[ES_JOBS_NET] Research Scientist, Geothermal Data Manager, University Nevada Reno
Christine.Wiedinmyer at Colorado.EDU
Tue Jul 17 21:10:05 MDT 2018
Research Scientist, Geothermal Data Manager, University Nevada Reno
The University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) appreciates your interest in employment at our growing institution. We want your application process to go smoothly and quickly. We ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
* Once you start the application process you cannot save your work. Please ensure you have all required attachment(s) available to complete your application before you begin the process.
* Required attachments are listed below on the posting. Your application will not be considered without the required attachments.
* Please note that applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources helpline at (775) 784-1495 or jobs at unr.edu<mailto:jobs at unr.edu>.
For UNR Med professional job postings, if you have questions or need assistance regarding the application process, please contact the Office of Professional Recruitment at (775) 784-6778.
The Great Basin for Geothermal Energy (GBCGE) at the University of Nevada, Reno is seeking applications for a Research Scientist, Geothermal Data Manager. This position will be responsible for collecting, compiling, cataloguing, maintaining and publicly-disseminating information related to Nevada's geothermal resources, including geotechnical reports, well datasets, geological, geophysical and hydrological data, and core samples from geothermal drilling in Nevada. This will include new geothermal data generated by ongoing geothermal exploration, development, and research. A major goal of this position is to facilitate future scientific breakthroughs, resource exploration, and sustainable development of Nevada's geothermal resources by ensuring that various user groups can access the most up-to-date, quality-controlled geothermal geoscientific datasets and information. This involves: 1) the diligent curation, electronic conversion, and image capture of legacy and new materials and physical samples, 2) development and maintenance of digital, interoperable databases to store Nevada's geochemical, geophysical and geological data as related to geothermal resources, and 3) delivery of information on the NBMG/GBCGE/National Geothermal Data System (NGDS) websites, through various interactive and ArcGIS web interfaces to ensure that the data are discoverable and accessible.
Specific duties for the position include:
* Design, develop, and maintain geothermal databases to store digital geoscientific data for the GBCGE and NBMG;
* Systematically update core geothermal datasets, via liaison with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Nevada Division of Minerals (NDOM), and the geothermal industry to obtain new data;
* Develop innovative web-interfaces for effective, reliable delivery of our geoscientific data;
* Manage the secure storage of confidential industry geoscientific data in the GBCGE, and ensure such data are used in accordance with existing non-disclosure agreements (NDAs);
* Assist with the development of seamless, automated data update protocols between the databases, and web-delivery systems.
* Coordinate the systematic digitization of legacy physical collections (reports etc.).
* Bachelors or Master's degree in geology, geophysics, engineering, computer science, or related field.
* Experience with use and/or development of relational database management systems using programs such as Microsoft Access and/or Oracle, and SQL (structured query language).
* A good understanding of geological, geochemical, hydrological and reservoir engineering geoscience data architecture, and experience with databases.
* Experience with programming languages to support database querying, development of forms, and online data delivery, such as Java, Microsoft Visual Basic, and Python.
* Experience in development of web delivery platforms for scientific and/or geospatial datasets.
The total compensation package includes a negotiable competitive salary, moving expenses (if applicable), a rich retirement plan, health insurance options that include dental and vision, life insurance, long-term disability, annual and sick leave, along with many other benefits. Additionally, there is a grant-in-aid educational benefit for faculty and dependents.
The Great Basin Center for Geothermal Energy (GBCGE) is located within the Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology (NBMG) at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR). The successful applicant will be joining a vibrant, motivated team in the GBCGE who are dedicated to geothermal science and increasing our understanding of geothermal resource potential in the western USA and beyond. The team includes students, research scientists and faculty from within NBMG, the Department of Geological Sciences and Engineering, and the Desert Research Institute.
Bridget Ayling at 775-682-8768 or bayling at unr.edu<mailto:bayling at unr.edu>
Attach the following attachments to your application
2) Cover letter addressing your interest, qualifications, and experience relevant to this position
3) Contact Information for Three Professional References
4) Please write a brief statement (one page maximum) about how you would contribute toward our mission of creating a culturally inclusive environment in the role for which you are applying
5) Academic transcripts of relevant degrees
6) Word Document - Attach a word document answering the below questions. Applications submitted without answering the required questions will be incomplete.
1. Please describe your experience in using and/or developing relational database management systems and use of structured query language (SQL), including specific examples, your responsibilities, and their duration.
2. Please describe your experience in working with and/or managing geoscientific and geospatial data.
Posting Close Time
This posting will close at 12:00 am on the date listed below. The posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 pm the day prior.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net