[ES_JOBS_NET] Scientist I, Whole Atmosphere Community Climate Model work, ACOM, NCAR, Boulder
Christine.Wiedinmyer at Colorado.EDU
Wed Jul 11 17:41:08 MDT 2018
This is a full-time position. This position will be posted until July 17, 2018.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
UCAR/NCAR will sponsor a work visa to fill this position.
Where You Will Work
Located in Boulder, Colorado, the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is one of the world's premier scientific institutions, with an internationally recognized staff and research program dedicated to advancing knowledge, providing community-based resources, and building human capacity in the atmospheric and related sciences.
Atmospheric Chemistry Observations & Modeling Laboratory's (ACOM) research focuses on advancing understanding and predictive capability for atmospheric composition and related processes. Research is organized around two major themes - Air Quality Prediction and Weather-Chemistry-Climate Interactions. The synthesis of observations with atmospheric chemistry models is central to progress, with a focus on understanding and modeling fundamental processes. ACOM scientists work closely with the wider research community, providing intellectual leadership and facility support for measurement capabilities, laboratory and field experiments and community atmospheric chemistry models.
What You Will Do
The Scientist 1 will engage in original research that supports the strategic vision for ACOM and NCAR as described in the current Strategic Plans. In particular, the incumbent will work as part of the multi-disciplinary team that develops, maintains and uses NCAR's Whole Atmosphere Community Climate Model.
The Scientist 1 will help foster a culture of scientific excellence within ACOM and NCAR, collaborate with and support the scientific and university communities, and seek out opportunities to participate in research projects of a scale commensurate with that expected of a national center. Under the guidance of higher-level scientist(s), the incumbent will contribute specific skills and knowledge to a research project.
Specific areas of research will include the following:
* Conduct fundamental research on the dynamical, thermodynamic and chemical processes, and their coupling throughout the whole atmosphere.
* Investigate atmospheric transport, its response to natural and anthropogenic perturbations, and its impact on present and future environment and climate.
* Develop and evaluate algorithms for modeling of the whole atmosphere and for extracting maximum information from large simulation datasets.
* Use numerical simulations to interpret observational datasets, and observational datasets to inform and motivate model development.
* Identifies important questions related to modeling of the dynamics, physics, and chemical transport in the "whole atmosphere", in the range of altitude from the ground to the lower thermosphere. Develops theory, models and numerical experiments to address these questions. Uses observations to evaluate model performance and to guide new areas of investigation. Contributes to the development and utilization of NCAR's global models.
* Collaborates with ACOM and other NCAR scientists in the development, evaluation and utilization of the Whole Atmosphere Community Climate Model.
* Presents results at national and international scientific meetings and publishes them in refereed journals.
* Submits proposals to other agencies for funding scientific activities where those activities will contribute to the achievement of ACOM and NCAR organizational goals.
* Coordinates and develops collaborative activities involving university and NCAR scientists. Engages in ACOM laboratory meetings and related activities and provides input for planning future ACOM/NCAR research priorities and strategies. May supervise junior staff, advise and mentor post-doctoral fellows.
* Contributes to scientific programs by serving on NCAR, national and international committees. Works with colleagues in NCAR, the university community and other agencies to seek opportunities to develop new activities that enhance the mission of our primary sponsors and university stakeholders. Reviews manuscripts submitted to peer-reviewed journals and proposals submitted to funding agencies as appropriate.
What You Need
* PhD (Atmospheric Science, Physics, or related)
* Experience: At early stage of scientific career with demonstrated record of publication and working knowledge of atmospheric chemistry as it pertains to the research areas.
* Demonstrated knowledge of theoretical dynamics, thermodynamics and transport processes, and their interactions, from the troposphere to the lower thermosphere.
* Demonstrated knowledge of mathematical methods for theory development, model building, and data analysis.
* Demonstrated skill in the design and conduct of numerical simulations and in the analysis of large datasets.
* Ability to work well within a multidisciplinary team.
* A strong record of conducting original research in atmospheric science and publishing the results in refereed journals.
* Ability to communicate research results effectively to the community, as evidenced by oral presentations and invited talks within NCAR and other research institutions, and at national and international meetings.
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Regular, Full-Time (R1)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net