[ES_JOBS_NET] Job Vacancy at ECMWF as: Electrical & Mechanical Engineer, Closing date: 30 July 2018
julie.palmer at ecmwf.int
Wed Jul 11 09:55:07 MDT 2018
Dear Mailing list,
I am sharing the following job vacancy for:
Electrical & Mechanical Engineer, Closing date: 30 July 2018
1. Position information
Vacancy No.: VN18-23
Section: Data Centre Operations
Job Ref. No.: STF-PL/18-23
Reports to: Senior Site Engineer
Publication Date: 8 June 2018
Closing Date: 30 July 2018 2. About ECMWF
ECMWF is both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing and disseminating numerical weather predictions to its Member States. ECMWF carries out scientific and technical research directed to the improvement of its forecasts, collects and processes large amounts of observations, and manages a long-term archive of meteorological data. Satellite and in situ observations provide the information for up-to-date global analyses and climate reanalyses of the atmosphere, ocean and land surface.
For more details regarding ECMWF, see www.ecmwf.int/ . 3. Summary of the role
ECMWF is moving its Data Centre to Bologna (Italy) in 2019 and as part of the transition period, some additional engineering support is required to cover the current operational Data Centre support located in Reading (United Kingdom) until the end of 2020.
The Electrical & Mechanical Engineer will work very closely with the Senior Site Engineer in all aspects of the technical infrastructure and the building services that support the computing environment, such as electrical distribution, chilled water systems, air conditioning, data cabling etc.
The focus of this post is primarily technical but the Electrical & Mechanical Engineer will also be involved in the detailed planning and organisation necessary to ensure the timely and continuous provision of all services during this transitional period.
We are looking for an individual with a hands-on, practical approach, with a sound engineering background and the ability and experience to take well-reasoned engineering decisions.
ECMWF’s buildings include a large computer suite with 24x7 operations, a lecture and conference facility, and general office accommodation. The scope of the present on-site building services include:
Two 4MVA rotary UPS systems supply the entire site, there is some redundancy but it is not an N+1 configuration. The system has individual connected loads up to circa 500A.
Chilled Water :
A total of 5.5MW of cooling is available via two primary systems each configured as N+1 for resilience, one of 3.25MW (six chillers) and the second 2.25MW (four chillers). Chilled water is used for cooling mainframe computers/servers either directly or through close control air handling units, air conditioning, and office cooling via chilled beams. An ambient air-dry cooler is also part of the cooling strategy for the high-performance computer equipment.
Trend Building Management System (BMS):
Extensive use of Trend BMS system for controlling and monitoring building services equipment.
Addressable fire detection system throughout the buildings, augmented by a Vesda aspirated detection system and Inergen and water mist fire-suppression systems in the computer suite. 5. Main duties and key responsibilities
* Planning and organising the provision of services
* Maintaining a thorough technical understanding of the day-to-day operation of building services throughout the facility including, for example, electrical and mechanical systems, data cabling infrastructure, fire detection and suppression systems, security and access control etc.
* Responsible for monitoring the infrastructure using building management system, power and energy management system
* Troubleshooting infrastructure systems and advising on their capabilities, particularly when faults have occurred
* Supervising and managing mechanical and electrical contractors that provide routine maintenance and installation work on site including an on-site facilities management contractor
* Contributing to the specification of new and replacement infrastructure and participating in procurements, to ensure that new infrastructure is implemented successfully
* Overseeing the Data Centre whitespace, provisioning of power, cooling and network connectivity to assets
* Producing procedures for safe operation of the facilities systems and infrastructure
* Switching LV electrical supplies
* Providing 24*7 on-call support as part of a rota
6. Personal attributes
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including listening to and respecting the views of others
* Good analytical and problem-solving skills with a self-motivated proactive approach to work
* An interest in identifying, investigating and resolving technical problems
* Ability to work under pressure and to interact with others
* Ability to write technical reports and make recommendations
* Flexible approach and adapting to changing work priorities
* Willingness and ability to resolve minor problems on site without resorting to third parties
* Dedication and ability to work independently or as part of a small team
7. Qualifications and experience required
A university degree in Electrical Engineering or Building Services Engineering with an electrical bias or equivalent.
Solid experience of working within maintenance and operation of mission critical data centres or similar 24/7 environments.
Demonstrated relevant professional experience in electrical and mechanical building services, preferably in a 24/7 mission critical data centre environment.
Experience with the practical application of UK electrical standards and knowledge of the UK health and safety regulations and practices is essential.
Knowledge and skills (including language)
Candidates should be a Chartered Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) or working towards attaining their Chartered Engineer status with a relevant body.
Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and interviews will be conducted in English.
A good knowledge of one of the Centre’s other working languages (French or German) would be an advantage. 8. Other information
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, with an attractive tax-free salary package according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations, with an annual basic salary of £58,238.40 NET of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-PL as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs , including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: To 31 December 2020.
Location: The position will be based in the Reading area, in Berkshire, United Kingdom. 9. How to apply
Please apply by completing the online application form available at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs.
At ECMWF, we consider an inclusive environment as key for our success. We are dedicated to ensuring a workplace that embraces diversity and provides equal opportunities for all, without distinction as to race, gender, age, marital status, social status, disability, sexual orientation, religion, personality, ethnicity and culture. We value the benefits derived from a diverse workforce and are committed to having staff that reflect the diversity of the countries that are part of our community, in an environment that nurtures equality and inclusion.
Staff are usually recruited from among nationals of the following Member States and Co‑operating States:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, France, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Morocco, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
Staff from other countries may be considered in exceptional cases.
Recruitment and Talent Management Officer
ECMWF | HR Section
e: julie.palmer at ecmwf.int t: +44 1189 49 9161
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net