[ES_JOBS_NET] Postdoctoral Research Staff Member - Cloud Processes Research, LLNL, CA
christine.wiedinmyer.ucar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 13:03:58 MST 2018
Postdoctoral Research Staff Member - Cloud Processes Research
%5d%5b%5d=1001> Livermore, CA
%5b%5d=PD> Post Docs
%5b%5d=015> Physical and Life Sciences
_LL%5d%5b%5d=D> External Posting
Job ID: 104596
Job Code: Post-Dr Research Staff 1 (PDS.1)
Date Posted: December 06 2018
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL)
has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to investigate the effect
of soil moisture and surface heterogeneity on cloud formation and convection
triggering using both ground-based and satellite observations and large-eddy
simulations. This position is in the Cloud Processes Research group in the
Atmospheric, Earth and Energy Division.
- Conduct creative research on the processes governing cloud and convective
responses to different soil moisture and surface heterogeneity conditions.
- Contribute to the conception, design, and execution of research in the
area of land-atmosphere-cloud interaction using both observation and
- Analyze data regarding soil moisture and surface heterogeneity on cloud
- Publish research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals
and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in atmospheric science or closely related field.
- Experience conducting research in atmospheric science or closely related
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: clouds associated with
cumulus convection and their interaction with land surface, land surface
processes and modeling, moist convection thermodynamics, and boundary layer
- Knowledge of satellite and/or ground-based observations such as those
collected by NASA and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program.
- Experience with large model datasets, modern programming environments, and
- Proficient written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills to
work effectively in a diverse, multidisciplinary research team.
- Ability to travel to coordinate research with collaborators.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position
will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This
includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of
extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs
within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco
Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of
the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of
Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by
developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering
that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to
scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current
annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected
veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net