[ES_JOBS_NET] Associate Scientist I, NCAR, Boulder, CO
Christine.Wiedinmyer at Colorado.EDU
Mon Aug 27 09:33:43 MDT 2018
Job Title: Associate Scientist I
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Type: Full-time, Exempt
Position Term: This is a 6-month term position with possibility of extension
This position will be posted until Thursday, August 30, 2018 or until a sufficient number of applications have been received. Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
No relocation package is offered for this position.
* U.S. Citizenship, Permanent Residency, or other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) is required for this position.
* UCAR/NCAR will not sponsor a work visa (e.g., J-1, H1-B, etc.) for this position.
Who We Are:
Located in Boulder, Colorado, the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is one of the world's premier scientific institutions, with an internationally recognized staff and research program dedicated to advancing knowledge, providing community-based resources, and building human capacity in the atmospheric and related sciences. NCAR is sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and managed by the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR).
What You Will Do:
This position will provide support for scientific data analysis, visualization, programming and algorithm development, field support and instrument development for the Terminal Area Icing Weather Information for NextGen (TAIWIN), NextGen Surface Observing Capabilities (NSOC), Snow Machine and other winter weather research in RAL/AAP.
* Collects, processes, analyzes, and manages meteorological data from satellite, radar, surface, aircraft, and other measurement systems, as well as numerical model output.
* Assists with the development and evaluation of new TAIWIN icing detection algorithms and capabilities. Applies meteorological, mathematical, and statistical concepts to address defined tasks related to surface measurements.
* Provides scientific support to team members through the creation and/or modification of computer programs and scripts to process, summarize and visualize scientific data.
* Assists with upgrades, maintenance and testing of the NCAR Snow Machine, including outdoor and indoor testing of aircraft de/anti-icing fluids.
* Assists with compiling research findings and preparing written reports and memoranda; may prepare and present results at local meetings and conferences.
What You Need:
Education and Years of Experience:
* B.S. in atmospheric science or meteorology, physical science, mathematics, or a related field
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Basic knowledge of meteorological processes and phenomena
* Basic skill in analyzing meteorological data
* Basic knowledge of standard meteorological instrumentation
* Basic ability in handling large geophysical data sets
* Working knowledge with a scientific programming language such as Matlab, Python, Perl, IDL or NCL
* Working Knowledge of Linux/Unix and Windows OS
* Working Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Kaleidagraph, Google Docs, or similar products
* Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
* Good written and verbal communication skills in English
* Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
* Willingness and ability to work outdoors during inclement weather and possibly outside normal business hours
* Willingness to travel occasionally, possibly on short notice
* Desire to develop new skills
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* 1-2 years of experience as a student research assistant in a related field
What's In It for You:
* Paid Holidays
* Tuition Reimbursement
* Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
* Retirement Plan
* And more!
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net