[ES_JOBS_NET] Scientific Software Developer and Data Analyst - Brookhaven National Laboratory
mjensen at bnl.gov
Thu Aug 23 11:10:24 MDT 2018
Title: Software Developer and Data Analyst
Company Name: Brookhaven National Laboratory
Effective Date: August 20, 2018
Expiration Date: September 20, 2018
The Environmental and Climate Sciences Department (https://www.bnl.gov/envsci/) at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) in Upton, NY invites applications for a Data Analyst and Software Developer position. The successful candidate will join the Cloud Processes Group (https://www.bnl.gov/envsci/cloud/) that is recognized for its state-of-the-art observational and modeling studies of the microphysical and dynamical processes that impact the lifecycle of clouds and convection, with the aim of improving their representation in earth system models and increase our ability to understand and project global change.
The selected candidate will be responsible for contributing to the design, development, documentation, and maintenance of atmospheric products to enhance the scientific usability of data (such as from millimeter-wavelength cloud radars) collected by the Department of Energy's Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) program (https://www.arm.gov/). The position requires working with large meteorological datasets (e.g. radar volumes or atmospheric model output) and the ability to independently interpret and develop evaluation, analysis and visualization tools. The selected candidate will work directly with outside collaborators and be responsible for defining short-term project tasks and timelines.
As part of enhancing data usability, the position will often require data quality review and analysis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
* Develop software for evaluation, analysis and visualization of atmospheric science data.
* Design and development of software processes that automate scientific algorithm codes.
* Analysis of meteorological data and model output, and interpretation of results.
* Directly interact with outside collaborators regarding project progress and planning.
* Interact with software and product user community to raise awareness, troubleshoot and define additional needs.
* Archive and document developed software and data products.
* Presentation of results at internal and external scientific meetings
Review of applications begins immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The initial appointment will be one year and will be under the direction of Dr. Michael Jensen.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* BA/BS Degree or equivalent experience, preferably in computer science, physical sciences, or a related discipline.
* At least one (1) year of full-time contemporary directly related experience.
* Demonstrated proficiency in high-level programming languages (including one or more of C, IDL, Python, and Matlab)
* Experience working in a Linux/Unix environment.
* Working knowledge of fundamentals and best practices of software development, including a deep understanding of various languages, technologies, and solutions for front-end applications.
* Attention to detail.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
* Strong written and oral communication skills.
* Strong problem solving skills, particularly concerning data analysis and interpretation.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* MA/MS Degree or equivalent experience, preferably in computer science, physical sciences, or a related discipline.
* Education or experience in meteorology or another physical science.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive.
There are two separate openings, depending on the candidates level of experience. Please apply at:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net