[ES_JOBS_NET] Postdoctoral Fellow, NCAR – Climate & Global Dynamics (CGD) – Oceanography (OS), Boulder, CO
Christine.Wiedinmyer at Colorado.EDU
Wed Oct 25 20:57:27 MDT 2017
Postdoctoral Fellow I
Postdoctoral Fellow I
This is a full-time, 2-year term position with possibility of an extension. This position will be posted until 4 pm on December 1, 2017 or until a sufficient number of applications have been received. Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
NCAR – Climate & Global Dynamics (CGD) – Oceanography (OS)
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
UCAR/NCAR will sponsor a work visa to fill this position.
Where You Will Work
Located in Boulder, Colorado, the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is one of the world’s premier scientific institutions, with an internationally recognized staff and research program dedicated to advancing knowledge, providing community-based resources, and building human capacity in the atmospheric and related sciences.
What You Will Do
Conduct research on interactions between climate variability and change with dissolved oxygen distributions in the ocean. Use a combination of numerical models and observational data to study the global ocean. Emphasis on application and development of the ocean component of the Community Earth System Model, include global eddy-resolving configurations. Identify key science questions of interest regarding interactions between climate and ocean biogeochemistry.
· Perform analysis of model solutions and observations to document and describe processes driving ocean oxygen variability and change.
· Contribute to designing, configuring and running numerical experiments with the CESM ocean component.
· Present results at conferences and seminars; publish results in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.
· Contribute to the development of analysis software.
What You Need
· A Ph.D. or equivalent experience in oceanography, atmospheric science, applied mathematics, computational science, engineering, or a related physical science; demonstrated understanding of geophysical fluid dynamics, computational fluid dynamics, and ocean biogeochemistry; research experience in a relevant field, with contributions to refereed journals.
· Expertise in oceanography with specific emphasis on biogeochemistry or climate variability.
· Experience developing and running global to regional ocean general circulation models.
· Proficiency writing and modifying scientific codes, especially in Fortran and Python.
· Expertise working with large geophysical data sets, including climate model output.
· Strong written and oral communication skills, especially for scientific publications.
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.
Boulder, Colorado, United States
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net