[ES_JOBS_NET] Scientific Programmer, UC Davis Air Quality Research Center
Katrine A Gorham
kgorham at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 23 16:03:50 MDT 2017
Scientific Programmer (Applications Programmer-I)
UC Davis, Air Quality Research Center
Final Filing Date: 6/5/2017
Salary: $18.77 - $38.51/HR
Under general supervision of the Data Group Manager, develop, support, and maintain web-based data visualization tools; perform ad hoc data queries and data analysis; and provide general scientific programming support.
The UC Davis Air Quality Research Center (AQRC) is a growing interdisciplinary Organized Research Unit (ORU). Its mission is to facilitate research on the scientific, engineering, health, social, and economic aspects of gaseous and particulate atmospheric pollutants.
AQRC analyzes particulate matter samples for the United States National Park Service (NPS) Interagency Monitoring for Protected Visual Environments (IMPROVE) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Chemical Speciation Network (CSN). IMPROVE was established in 1985 to monitor visibility in the National Parks and Wilderness Areas, and AQRC operates over 150 air pollution sampling sites for IMPROVE, as well as analyzes samples, processes the analysis data, and delivers data to the NPS and EPA. CSN collects samples in an urban monitoring network with over 140 sites. For CSN, AQRC analyzes samples, processes the analysis data, and delivers data to the EPA.
60%, DEVELOP, MAINTAIN, AND SUPORT DATA VISUALIZATION TOOLS
Develop, support, and expand web-based data visualization tools written primarily using the R Shiny package. Respond to user requests and bug reports to improve the tools. Design, develop, and test new visualizations under the direction of the Data Group Manager.
20%, PROVIDE GENERAL SCIENTIFIC PROGRAMMING SUPPORT
Assist in the development and maintenance of R, SQL, and Python code bases for lab and instrument operations.
20%, DATA ANALYSIS AND DATA QUERY SUPPORT
Assist in research activities through analytical programming in R, SQL, and Python. Develop scripts to query the Microsoft SQL Server database and provide data extracts, statistics, and graphics as requested by research staff.
Perform data analysis, including data gathering, processing, graphical and statistical analysis, and reporting. Apply scientifically valid techniques to understanding issues of measurement quality, uncertainty, trends, and patterns. Assist senior and research staff in data analysis tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Sciences or Engineering including coursework in inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, statistics, and computer science.
- Demonstrated experience performing data analysis and presenting scientific results graphically.
- Experience with the R programming language or another programming language in a scientific or statistical environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in groups.
- Skill communicating progress, problems, and results.
- Knowledge of and experience with mathematical and statistical concepts such as logarithms, distributions, and linear regression.
- Master of Science degree in Physical Sciences or Engineering.
- Experience with R Shiny.
- Experience and comfort with data manipulation using the R dplyr package.
- Experience with SQL.
- Experience with Python.
- Experience working with environmental measurements, particularly air quality measurements.
- Experience identifying patterns in data and advancing possible explanation for the patterns.
- Customer service skills.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net