[ES_JOBS_NET] Airborne Remote Sensing Laboratory Lead - job - Boulder, CO
lreynolds at battelleecology.org
Tue May 16 10:00:11 MDT 2017
Battelle and its affiliate, Battelle Ecology, Inc. manages and operates the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) project, which is solely funded by the National Science Foundation. A 30+ year project dedicated to understanding how changes in climate, land use and invasive species impact ecology, the observatory's scientists and engineers are collecting a comprehensive range of ecological data on a continental scale across 20 eco-climatic domains representing US ecosystems. Our teams use cutting-edge technology, including an airborne observation platform that captures images of regional landscapes and vegetation; mobile, relocatable, and fixed data collection sites with automated ground sensors to monitor soil and atmosphere; and trained field crews who observe and sample populations of diverse organisms and collect soil and water data. Once structures are completed, a leading edge cyberinfrastructure will calibrate, store and publish this information. The Observatory includes more than 500+ personnel and is the first of its kind designed to detect and enable forecasting of ecological change at continental scales.
The NEON Airborne Remote Sensing team is currently seeking an individual to lead activities in the Airborne Observation Platform (AOP) Sensor Test Facility. The Laboratory Lead has overall responsibility for the laboratory facility including providing technical direction and coordinating the activities of technicians in the laboratory as well as for the development and maintenance of the NEON remote sensing payloads. The Laboratory Lead is responsible for the delivery of the AOP payload(s) to AOP Flight Operations team. Duties include managing all laboratory development (including the coordination of the electrical, mechanical, software and thermal engineering support), integration, and testing of the payload(s); coordinating the calibration of the sensors with the AOP Science team, coordinating the payload(s) handoff with AOP Flight Operations team; managing instrument testing, calibration, and maintenance; and providing payload technical support to the Flight Operations team during deployment as needed.
* This position is located in Boulder, CO.
* Travel to assigned sites in support of the AOP Flight Operations team during flight deployments (i.e., one to two weeks away from HQ) as the project needs indicate
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Lead the integration and testing of airborne remote sensing payloads
* Manages handoff of fully tested payload(s) to AOP Flight Operations team (inspections, inventory, shipping)
* Provides technical direction and coordinates the activities of technicians in the AOP Sensor Test Facility including directing trouble shooting efforts during deployment
* Coordinate and assign activities of all personnel supporting the lab and payload activities: includes matrixed mechanical, electrical, fabrication, assembly, system I/T, software, documentation support while working with other NEON teams
* Maintain schedule for activities in AOP Sensor Test Facility
* Maintain AOP Sensor Test Facility instrumentation and test sets
* Manage routine and non-routine maintenance of all payload components
* Develop Sensor Test Facility and Payload supporting documentation in collaboration with AOP scientists and engineers
* Create technical and test reports for Remote Sensing scientist review
* Procure equipment and materials supporting development of AOP Payloads and operation of the AOP Sensor Test Facility including oversight of external vendors delivery schedules
* Track Payload and Sensor Test Facility Materials & assets
* Support budget and schedule development for the AOP Sensor Test Facility. Includes the schedule and budget for the maintenance and repair of the AOP Payloads.
* Report to Remote Sensing Lead and the NEON Project on monthly status for budget and schedule
* Support risk development for AOP hardware
REQUIRED: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
* Bachelor of Science degree in engineering
* BS 8-10 years, MS 5-8 years, or PhD 2-5 years of experience in operation and maintenance of remote sensing imaging systems or equivalent electronic/electro-optical equipment
* Thorough understanding or remote sensing principles: spectrometry, lidar, cameras, geolocation, GPS, AC & DC power systems, flight operations considerations, etc.
* Ability to analyze and troubleshoot electronics and remote sensing systems
* Previous experience working with outside vendors to facilitate the development and maintenance of laboratory equipment
* Experience with system assembly, system cabling, telemetry
* Strong understanding of computer and software systems
* Strong communication skills, fluent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to write clear technical documentation
* Experience working in a collaborative scientific or engineering enterprise.
* Previous experience providing technical direction and coordinating activities of personnel of various skill level.
* Must be self-directed and have ability to excel with minimal oversight
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
* 5-7 years of experience working in a radiometric calibration laboratory for airborne or spaceborne earth observing sensors
* Advanced knowledge of electronics associated with electro-optical systems and general electronics including noise management, grounding techniques, as well as interfacing electro-optical sensors, A/D convertors, and high speed digital circuits
* Experience with interfacing remote sensing instruments on airborne platforms
* Demonstrated experience with airborne imaging spectrometers and Lidar systems
* Familiarity with scientific data acquisition systems, particularly airborne instrumentation
* Experience in the use of GPS navigational systems
* Experience in handling and post-processing of environmental or geophysical data
* Experience in alignment of optical systems
* Experience operating and and developing programs in Labview, Python, Matlab, or IDL
Must have permanent authorization for US employment. Battelle Ecology, Inc. will not provide any kind of visa sponsorship.
This position offers competitive total rewards including 401(k), health, vision and dental insurance, paid time off and the opportunity to work at an organization with a great mission.
Battelle Ecology, Inc. provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle Ecology, Inc.
lreynolds at battelleecology.org<mailto:jenkinsd at battelle.org>
1685 38th Street Suite 100.
Boulder, CO 80301
Connect with Battelle:
LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/neon-science?trk=prof-following-company-logo> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/NEONScienceData>
Twitter<https://twitter.com/NEON_Sci> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/neonscience>
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this communication or its substance is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return to the sender and delete from your computer system.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net