[ES_JOBS_NET] Battelle/NEON Project Aquatic Instrumentation & Oceanographer Manager job opportunity
lreynolds at battelleecology.org
Fri Mar 17 14:54:45 MDT 2017
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle's work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle's Ecology Business is seeking an Aquatic Instrumentation and Oceanography Manager, located in Boulder, CO. Battelle's Ecology Business supports the broader mission of the Infrastructure and Environment Business Unit, with management operations located in Columbus, OH.
Reporting to the Director of Science, the Manager is primarily responsible for directly managing staff within the Aquatic Instrumentation and Oceanography team and the technical activities of projects/programs. The Ecology Business predominately serves the National Science Foundation as Managing Organization to complete the construction, commissioning, and initial operations of the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON). NEON will enable scientists to understand and forecast interactions between life and the environment, including changes in climate, land use and invasive species, throughout the United States. In this capacity, the Manager will lead technical activities and provide technical and scientific expertise in multiple natural science fields such as ecology, civil engineering, hydrology, and water quality for the construction and operations of NEON's Aquatic Instrumented Systems that are deployed at wadeable streams, non-wadeable streams and rivers, and lakes.
* Develops and manages schedule, budget, risks, and documentation.
* Identifies risks to meeting scheduled activities, and implements solutions to mitigate risk and meet timelines.
* Responsible for efficient project management practices and leading teams within a professional work environment, including coordinating a variety of simultaneous tasks.
* Provides strategic, scientific rationale for aquatic components of the NEON project
* Assists in the development and oversight of aquatic site infrastructure deployments.
* Serves as the point of contact to resolve operations issues related to implementation of aquatic instrumentation
* Manages the documentation of maintenance plans, equipment design and data collection, verifying that all activities are documented.
* Contributes to training material and field manuals for field and lab procedures.
* Collaborates with the NEON Data Products and Cyberinfrastructure teams and other science staff to develop algorithms to deliver data products and specifications for data ingest and publication formats associated with the collection of instrumented aquatic data.
* Supports active engagement between the Observatory and the broader science community and promotes scientific advancements in continental-scale ecology relevant to the observatory mission.
* Establishes staff goals and objectives and prepares and delivers performance reviews.
* The manager will also contribute to the development of an externally funded research program and other new business opportunities, particularly those in the aquatic sciences.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
* PhD in Ecology, Hydrology, Oceanography, Biology, or related field and 1 year of experience with methods in aquatic ecology, OR equivalent Combination of degree and experience.
* MS in Ecology, Hydrology, Oceanography, Biology, or related field and 3 years of experience with methods in aquatic ecology.
* Experience with instrumented sampling methods in aquatic systems.
* Supervisory/leadership experience, sufficient to demonstrate the ability to manage a diverse group of engineers, scientists, and technicians.
* Experience in managing budgets and schedules for a large scale scientific project.
* Demonstrated experience in scientific writing and review.
* Highly effective communication and interpersonal skills.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
* PhD in Ecology, Hydrology, Oceanography, Biology, or related field and 5 or more years of experience with methods in aquatic ecology.
* MS in Ecology, Hydrology, Oceanography, Biology, or related field and 8 or more years of experience with methods in aquatic ecology.
* Experience with both freshwater and oceanic aquatic systems.
* Experience working with groups involved in terrestrial and aquatic ecological environments.
* Experience working in a collaborative scientific enterprise.
* Demonstrated success in obtaining external funding.
Battelle's competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
"Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle."
National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON)
E: LReynolds at battelleecology.org<mailto:LReynolds at battelleecology.org>
1685 38th Street Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this communication or its substance is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return to the sender and delete from your computer system.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net