[ES_JOBS_NET] Soil Carbon Cycling Postdoctoral Fellow (Climate & Ecosystems) at Berkeley Lab
jennifer at adclub.com
Mon Mar 13 10:56:27 MDT 2017
Soil Carbon Cycling Postdoctoral Fellow (Climate & Ecosystems) - 83375
Organization: CE-Climate & Ecosystems
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Berkeley Lab’s Climate & Ecosystems Division has an opening for a Soil Carbon Cycling Postdoctoral Fellow. The successful candidate will research the controls of soil carbon cycling and how they vary with climate and soil depth. They will setup and run a field experiment and will use isotopically labeled carbon substrates to study the effect of warming, plant inputs, and microbial community on the transformation, mineralization, and stabilization of soil carbon. There is also the opportunity to study longer term impacts of warming at an existing whole-soil warming experiment. The goals of this project are to develop a more mechanistic understanding of soil biogeochemistry and to improve Earth system model representation of soil response to climate change. The project comprises a multi-disciplinary team including microbiologists, biogeochemists, and ecosystem modelers. We seek a scientist who is deeply interested in soil biogeochemistry,excited about doing fieldwork, and values interacting with empiricists and modelers of different disciplines.
To be considered, (1) CV documentation, (2) one relevant publication, (3) a one- or two-page cover letter briefly describing how the applicant meets the Essential qualifications and (4) contact information for three references must be provided.
What You Will Do:
• Establish a whole-soil warming experiment, working with a team.
• Find creative solutions to logistical and experimental challenges.
• Measure trace gas flux regularly.
• Measure isotopic composition (13C, 14C) of soil, soil gas, and soil fluxes.
• Conduct laboratory analyses such as elemental analysis, microbial community, and soil properties.
• Publish results of research and give presentations at scientific meetings.
• Setup and run field and laboratory instruments.
• Contribute to grant proposals and progress reports.
• Test model structures and parameters, develop new model capabilities.
• Contribute to measurement and analysis of microbial carbon use efficiency and microbial community response.
• Contribute to analysis of organo-mineral interactions.
What Is Required:
• Recent Ph.D. in ecology, soil science, biogeochemistry, earth sciences or related field.
• Expertise in biogeochemistry.
• Fieldwork experience.
• Experience in data analysis and applying robust statistical analysis.
• Relevant lab experience.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Proficiency in R, Matlab or other software for handling and organizing data.
• Experience in modeling soil biogeochemical cycling.
• Experience with manipulative experiments.
• Experience monitoring microclimate.
• Able to work independently and as part of a team.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled. Start date is flexible but preferred date is June 2017.
• This is a full time, 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years paid postdoctoral experience at the time employment begins at Berkeley Lab.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position is contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
• Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=94282 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".
Ad Club Advertising
Toll Free: 800.333.1228
Toll Free Fax: 800.759.4675
jennifer at adclub.com <mailto:jennifer at adclub.com>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net