[ES_JOBS_NET] Soil carbon cycle science postdoc
marinspiotta at wisc.edu
Tue Mar 7 21:37:16 MST 2017
I'm looking to recruit a postdoc for a great 3-yr project to better
understand and predict the spatial and temporal response of soil carbon to
land use change under a changing climate by greatly improving the
availability of soil data related to carbon cycling.
Please share with anyone you think may be interested.
Apologies for any cross-posting.
Jonathan Sanderman, Associate Scientist
Woods Hole Research Center
149 Woods Hole Rd, Falmouth MA 02540
Office: 508.444.1505 <%28508%29%20444-1505>
Mobile: 508.274.3849 <%28508%29%20274-3849>
Email: jsanderman at whrc.org
Postdoctoral Researcher - Soil Carbon Cycling - Job # JSPD17
SUMMARY: We seek a post-doctoral researcher to work on an exciting new
project with the primary objective of understanding and predicting the
spatial and temporal response of soil carbon to land use change under a
changing climate by greatly improving the availability of soil data related
to carbon cycling.
The successful candidate will work closely with the lead scientists and
collaborators (USDA National Cooperative Soil Survey, CSIRO Australia and
the International Soil Carbon Network). This position will develop new
capabilities to predict numerous soil properties from infrared
spectroscopy, develop moderately high resolution soil property maps, and
use these maps to run a spatially explicit biogeochemical model under
different future land use and climate scenarios.
• Harmonize multiple soil spectral libraries and databases
• Develop new open-source predictive models from soil spectral data for
numerous soil properties
• Develop maps of various soil properties using machine learning algorithms
• Run a spatially-explicit soil biogeochemical model under different land
use and climate scenarios
• Work in a highly collaborative environment to analyze, synthesize, and
Qualifications and Experience: Ph.D. degree in Soil Science, Earth System
Science, Geography, or a related discipline, with demonstrated strong data
analysis skills in at least one of the three key work areas for this
project: Chemometric prediction of soil properties from infrared
spectroscopy; Digital soil mapping; or Biogeochemical modeling.
• Knowledge and interest in soil carbon cycling and global change research.
• Ability to develop R code and learn new skills as needed.
• Experience with various soil laboratory analyses.
• Experience using the CENTURY model.
• Ability to assess and implement appropriate computation needs.
• Evidence of or potential for scholarly excellence through publications
• Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
Desired Start Date: May 2017 Application Deadline: April 14th, or until
Salary Range: $50,000 to $55,000, with full benefit package, exempt
Appointment: Three-year appointment.
Application Instructions: To apply, please send cover letter referencing
“Postdoctoral Researcher job
# JSPD17”, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references
to jobopenings at whrc.org.
Please type “JSPD17” in the subject line.
For more information, please contact Jonathan Sanderman, jsanderman at whrc.org
The Woods Hole Research Center (whrc.org), located in the heart of a
vibrant scientific community, is an independent research institute where
scientists investigate the causes and effects of climate change to identify
and implement opportunities for conservation, restoration and economic
development around the world. We are an equal opportunity employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net