[ES_JOBS_NET] SOARS summer internship at NCAR, Boulder CO
christin at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 10 06:50:43 MST 2017
APPLICATIONS FOR 2017 ARE OPEN
The 2017 Summer Program will run from May 21 - August 5.
*SOARS 2017 applications are due on February 1, 2017.*
If you have questions, please contact SOARS at 303-497-8622 or
SOARS at UCAR.edu
SOARS is dedicated to broadening participation in the atmospheric and
SOARS is an undergraduate to graduate program built around a summer
research internship, mentoring by top scientists and engineers, and a
supportive learning community. In addition to the summer internship, SOARS
includes year-round support, funding to attend conferences and last-dollar
tuition scholarships. Successful proteges are eligible to participate in
the program for up to four years.
SOARS encourages applications from individuals who are members of a group
that is historically under-represented in the atmospheric and related
sciences, including students who are Black or African American, American
Indian or Alaska Native, and Hispanic or Latino, female, first generation
college students, veterans and students with disabilities. SOARS welcomes
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students; students who have
experienced, and worked to overcome, educational or economic disadvantage
and/or have personal or family circumstances that may complicate their
continued progress in research careers.
A successful candidate should
- Have completed the equivalent of two years of college
- Have at least one semester of undergraduate studies remaining after
the initial summer program (graduating seniors are not eligible to apply)
- Ideally have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher; if your GPA is less
than this, please address the circumstances in your essay
- Have a major in atmospheric science or a related field such as the
geosciences, chemistry, computer science, earth science, engineering,
environmental science, mathematics, meteorology, oceanography, physics, or
social science; and a plan to pursue a career in atmospheric or a related
- Have U.S.-citizen or permanent-resident status
- Be comfortable with all internship requirements
*Your submission needs:*
1. A SOARS application
2. Two letters of recommendation
3. Unofficial Transcripts
4. Two essay questions, each with a limit of 500 words. These are:
1. *Academic Statement of Purpose*: A statement outlining your career
goals and how participating in SOARS will help you meet these goals.
2. *SOARS Mission and Personal Journey*: SOARS is dedicated to
enhancing the diversity of future scientific communities and sharing our
science with a broader audience. Please describe how you, based on your
personal background and life experiences (including social, cultural,
familial, educational, or other opportunities or challenges) will
contribute to this mission during and after participation in SOARS.
Are you ready to submit? Please read through these detailed instructions!
To successfully apply to SOARS, be sure to complete each of the following
1. Request two recommendations from contacts who can speak to your
ability to do research, such as faculty members or academic counselors,
using the SOARS Recommendation Form
2. Collect transcripts from all institutions you have attended.
Unofficial transcripts will be accepted during the application process.
However, students selected for the internship will need to provide official
transcripts before they will be officially accepted into the program.
Please do not include high school transcripts.
3. Fill out and submit the SOARS Application
<https://scied.ucar.edu/forms/2017-soars-application>. Please note that
this will take you away from the SOARS website and to the UCAR Center for
Science Education website (SOARS' parent department).
4. Remember to give yourself enough time to write the essays and make
sure you address what is being asked. You can find tips for writing
effective application essays here
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net