[ES_JOBS_NET] Staff Scientist - Data Products job opportunity with Battelle/ National Ecological Observatory Network - Boulder, Colorado
lreynolds at battelleecology.org
Thu Feb 16 13:50:15 MST 2017
Battelle and its affiliate, Battelle Ecology, Inc. manage and operate the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) project, which is solely funded by the National Science Foundation. A 30+ year project dedicated to understanding how changes in climate, land use and invasive species impact ecology, the observatory's scientists and engineers are collecting a comprehensive range of ecological data on a continental scale across 20 eco-climatic domains representing US ecosystems. Our teams use cutting-edge technology, including an airborne observation platform that captures images of regional landscapes and vegetation; mobile, relocatable, and fixed data collection sites with automated ground sensors to monitor soil and atmosphere; and trained field crews who observe and sample populations of diverse organisms and collect soil and water data. Once structures are completed, a leading edge cyberinfrastructure will calibrate, store and publish this information. The Observatory includes more than 500+ personnel and is the first of its designed to detect and enable forecasting of ecological change at continental scales
Job Location: Boulder, CO
The Staff Scientist - Data Products will manage the efforts for developing and delivering the micrometeorology data product through an internal working group (working Integrated Product Team - wIPT) responsible for delivering Eddy-Covariance data products. Responsibilities include: ensuring delivery of data products and associated documentation, including design, specification, implementation, testing, and publication. This position requires understanding Battelle Ecology, Inc.'s data and sample acquisition systems and their scientific design and goals, and assessing and realizing the utility of algorithms necessary to enable community use of the products. The Staff Scientist will also be expected to interact with external working groups and advisory panels, liaising with the larger ecological modeling and micrometeorology communities to ensure Battelle Ecology, Inc.'s chosen approaches are appropriate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Support the development of Battelle Ecology, Inc.'s eddy covariance data products, including managing cost and schedule.
* Provide technical guidance on the development of Battelle Ecology, Inc. data products, particularly eddy covariance data products.
* Coordinate porting/testing/validation of all Micrometeorology science code into operational cyberinfrastructure, including development of standardized plans for transferring science code into the cyberinfrastructure
* Coordinate implementation, dataflow and data formats for public access
* Support working groups and product teams (internally and externally) to address cross-cutting science issues associated with sensor and algorithm deployment, implementation, maintenance and QA/QC
* Provide expertise and feedback in designing, developing, and implementing state-of-the-art tools for manipulating, processing, and analyzing Battelle Ecology, Inc. wide variety of data.
REQUIRED: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
* Ph.D. with applicable experience in an environmental science field, such as community land modeling, micrometeorology, biometeorology, ecosystem science, or atmospheric sciences
* Two or more years' experience (may be postdoctoral)
* Sound understanding of a wide range of sensors and measurement techniques, and their associated data acquisition and analysis procedures
* In-depth knowledge of quantitative uncertainty analyses, time-domain, frequency-domain and QA/QC procedures Experience with combining data of different types and from multiple spatial & temporal scales
* Proficiency in one or more programming languages, such as Fortran90+, Java, Python, C/C++
* Experience with common statistics packages, such as R or SAS
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
* Demonstrated experience leading teams
* Demonstrated experience working with interdisciplinary teams
* Knowledge of soil, tower, and airborne sensors and measurement techniques and their associated data acquisition and analysis procedures.
* Demonstrated experience working at the micro- to meso-meteorological scale
* Ability to develop dataflow designs for different and contrasting types of data
* Experience in operationalizing science code and working with large, complex data sets
* Design of data visualization tools
* Demonstrable knowledge of two or more ecological sciences relevant to Battelle Ecology, Inc.
* Peer-reviewed journal publications and a record of professional accomplishment related to the Battelle Ecology, Inc. mission
Apply to: www.neonscience.org<http://www.neonscience.org>
Battelle Ecology, Inc. provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle Ecology, Inc.
National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON)
E: LReynolds at battelleecology.org<mailto:LReynolds at battelleecology.org>
1685 38th Street Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this communication or its substance is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return to the sender and delete from your computer system.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net