[ES_JOBS_NET] Postdoctoral Research Staff Member - Middle Atmosphere, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
christine.wiedinmyer.ucar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 08:59:04 MDT 2017
We have a job opening for a post-doc at LLNL that I would like to distribute
through the WRF-news list. Thanks.
Postdoctoral Research Staff Member - Middle Atmosphere
Location: Livermore, CA
Category: Post Docs
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Posting Requirement: External w/ US Citizenship
Job ID: 102165
Job Code: Post-Dr Research Staff 1 (PDS.1)
Date Posted: May 08 2017
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL)
has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research on
modeling the Earth's middle atmosphere (stratosphere and mesosphere). You
will be pursuing original research on predictability and uncertainty in the
middle atmosphere. This position is in the Atmospheric, Earth & Energy
- Conduct original research using middle atmosphere models and observations.
- Conduct original research on the predictability of future middle
- Conduct original research on the impact on stratospheric conditions
(physical and chemical) of various phenomena, such as solar fluxes, volcanic
aerosols, chemical inputs, gravity waves.
- Document research by publishing papers in peer-reviewed journals, and
present technical results within the Department of Energy (DOE) community
and at scientific conferences.
- Travel as required to coordinate research with collaborators.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to
accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in atmospheric science, atmospheric observations, or a closely
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: modeling of the middle
atmosphere, climatology of the middle atmosphere, or processes relevant to
the middle atmosphere.
- Experience working with model and observational datasets.
- Proficient in at least one scientific programming language for modeling
and climate data analysis (e.g., Python, Fortran, C++).
- Experience with visualization and analysis programs.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively perform independent research.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, as evidenced by
published results and presentations.
- Experience collaborating effectively with a team of scientists of diverse
- Knowledge of other parts of the atmosphere and Earth system.
- Experience using super-computers and UNIX/LINUX.
- Expertise in uncertainty quantification and statistics.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position
will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (Position will be cleared to this level).
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation
and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information
or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random
drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country),
you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or
Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of
extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs
within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Text revised effective May 11, 2017.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco
Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of
the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of
Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by
developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering
that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to
scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current
annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected
veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net