[ES_JOBS_NET] Manager Field Operations - Florida job opportunity
lreynolds at battelleecology.org
Fri Apr 7 14:09:13 MDT 2017
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle's work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
The National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) Program is currently seeking a Field Operations Manager. This position is located in Gainesville, FL and manages NEON operations at Ordway-Swisher Biological Station (Gainesville, FL), Disney Wilderness Preserve (Poinciana, FL), and Jones Ecological Research Center (Newton, GA).
Occasional travel outside the region will be required.
NEON is a continental-scale ecological observation facility sponsored by the National Science Foundation that gathers and synthesizes data on the impacts of climate change, land use change and invasive species on natural resources and biodiversity. The observatory is designed to collect high-quality, standardized data from field sites across the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.
Gainesville, FL is home to the University of Florida and Santa Fe College. Located in north-central Florida, Gainesville (http://www.visitgainesville.com/) is 2 hours from both the Atlantic and Gulf Coast. Gainesville boasts world-class fishing, snorkeling, canoeing, diving and kayaking and offers plenty of opportunity to enjoy the unique natural environment of the Florida peninsula.
This position manages a broad scope of scientific inquiry, managing a multi-disciplinary team of field scientists who collect measurements related to botany, mammalogy, limnology, micrometeorology, eddy flux and water quality at three NEON sites in Domain 03-Florida (Southeast).
* Plan, schedule and ensure accurate execution, within NEON scientific parameters and annual budget, of all maintenance, repair and field sampling activities for 3 NEON field sites.
* Coordination for instrument maintenance is required for approximately 40 different sensors, data acquisition system, power distribution system and supporting infrastructure (i.e. tower, instrument hut, boardwalks).
* Coordination for field observations and collection are conducted using approximately 30 different protocols and multiple SOP's with varying schedule requirements based on local ecosystem and current field conditions.
* Recruit, train and manage all regular and temporary personnel supporting field office, lab and field site tasks.
* Act as liaison between regional stakeholders, including educational and research organizations, local property owners and the general public and NEON Headquarters.
* Communicate NEON status and activities, local activities and partnerships, and regional issues and concerns to appropriate regional stakeholders and NEON staff. Work with regional stakeholders to resolve issues or concerns.
* Plan and participate in local/regional community engagement activities (i.e. local/regional conferences or meetings, invited talks).
* Ensure compliance with NEON safety policy and procedures.
* Ensure appropriate equipment, materials and supplies are available to support required field activities. Ensure accuracy and efficient use of funds within assigned region.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
* Bachelors' Degree in life science field.
* 5 years previous experience supervising personnel including participating in hiring, training, and evaluating performance.
* Previous experience developing and managing budgets and schedules.
* Previous experience performing ecology related lab and field activities and/or maintaining scientific instrumentation (e.g. meteorological and aquatic sensors).
* Previous experience communicating with external stakeholders such as customers, funding agencies, regulatory agencies, etc.
* Requires critical human relation skills to understand, select, develop and motivate others.
* Permanent U.S. Work Authorization required
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
* Previous experience managing a technical field operations group.
* Graduate study in biology, ecology, environmental science or related field.
* Previous experience leading or participating in outdoor activities in remote areas.
Battelle's competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
"Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle."
National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON)
E: LReynolds at battelleecology.org<mailto:LReynolds at battelleecology.org>
Connect with NEON
1685 38th Street Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this communication or its substance is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return to the sender and delete from your computer system.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net