[ES_JOBS_NET] Project Scientist II - Numerical Weather Prediction, NCAR – Research Applications Laboratory (RAL)
christin at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 2 06:10:12 MDT 2016
Project Scientist II - Numerical Weather Prediction
*Project Scientist II - Numerical Weather Prediction*
*PLEASE NOTE: *This is a full-time position. Initial consideration
will be given to applications received prior to 4:00 p.m. on
September 22^nd 2016, or until a sufficient number of applications
have been received. Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an
NCAR – Research Applications Laboratory (RAL) – National Security
Applications Program (NSAP)
Partial relocation costs paid per UCAR’s relocation policy.
UCAR/NCAR will sponsor a work visa to fill this position.
*BASIC JOB FUNCTION: *
This position will hold general responsibilities for independent,
collaborative, and directed research related to one or more of the
following: tropical cyclone dynamics, mesoscale processes analysis
and modeling, urban meteorology, and statistical methods for
short-term deterministic and probabilistic predictions, downscaling,
and climatological pattern detection.
The scientist will also conduct research and development in a team
environment of operational and research prediction systems, leading
both projects and specific tasks towards the completion of project
* Conducts high-quality research on one or more of the following
areas: tropical cyclone dynamics, atmospheric boundary layer
processes, numerical weather prediction from meso to urban
scales, and statistical methods for short-term predictions,
downscaling, and climatological pattern detection. This work
o Perform development, upgrades, and deployment of both
deterministic and probabilistic systems, for tropical
cyclones and numerical weather predictions applications;
o Provide quality assurance oversight for work conducted in
the program to ensure that errors or inconsistencies in
model output are identified, develop and implement solutions
* Work closely and cooperatively with other scientists and
engineers on the project team.
* Investigates new opportunities for funding and both lead and
contribute to the preparation of proposals; may serve as
Principal Investigator (PI) or co-PI on funded proposals.
* Writes project reports as required by the research contracts.
Publishes results in conference proceedings and peer-reviewed
journals and participates in national and international meetings
on a regular basis. Reports to sponsors as needed.
* Maintains knowledge of current developments in topics of
relevance to research projects, conducts reviews of papers for
scientific journals, and may serve on professional committees.
*Education and Experience:*
* Ph.D. degree in the atmospheric sciences or closely related
* At least three years of experience after the Ph.D. in a relevant
* Demonstrated record of research and publication.
* Experience in program development activities and leading is
*Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:*
* Advanced knowledge of, and skills in one or more of the
following areas is required:
o Tropical cyclone dynamics
o Boundary-layer meteorology and mesoscale modeling
o Urban meteorology
o Numerical weather prediction
o Statistical methods for both deterministic and probabilistic
* Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain an
internationally recognized publication record.
* Advanced skill in scientific programming languages such as
FORTRAN, C, C++, PERL, Python, Matlab, R.
* Demonstrated skill with operational and real-time systems and
* Skill in analyzing meteorological datasets and model products.
* Familiarity with high performance computing architectures.
* Demonstrated ability to produce focused results in a project
* Demonstrated skill in managing a diverse scientific and
* Demonstrated ability to participate in and interact productively
with experts from different disciplinary fields within NCAR and
with our partners and sponsors.
* Demonstrated ability in developing project plans to meet sponsor
goals, objectives, and deadlines for deliverables.
* Demonstrated skill in mentoring students and educators.
* Strong skills in written and oral communication of research results.
*Decision Making and Problem Solving:*
* Independently determines appropriate research methods and
organizes, prioritizes, and coordinates multiple tasks of projects.
* Makes decisions in areas such as project design, major purchases
and new hires.
* Provides input and makes recommendations for project leaders’ on
projects that this position will not lead.
* Makes independent decisions on staffing allocations.
* Analyzes data sets and draws solid scientific conclusions.
* Determines task priorities and constructs research plans.
* Creatively solves, either independently or as part of a project
team, complex scientific problems.
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an
equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that
strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is
committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and
applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of
race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex,
gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are
committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that
values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Regular, Full-Time (R1)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net