[ES_JOBS_NET] Post-doc opportunity in Brazil in Ecophysiology
marinspiotta at geography.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 22 11:16:53 MST 2016
Please help us to spread this exciting opportunity.
POST DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP IN PLANT ECOLOGY/ECOPHYSIOLOGY
PROJECT BACKGROUND AND AIMS
The project "NORDESTE: new science for a neglected biome" seeks to
understand the relationships between climate, soil and vegetation
structure/biodiversity at the Caatinga Biome in Brazil, a seasonally dry
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Candidates must have a PhD in Environmental or Earth Sciences (Biology,
Ecology, Geography or related fields) with strong expertise in collecting,
processing and analyzing leaf/plant functional traits. The candidate should
be familiar with biochemical models of photosynthesis and possess a solid
knowledge of forest or savanna ecology, as well as a track record of
publication in international journals and scientific meetings.
Previous experience with tropical ecosystems will be strongly preferred,
and relevant statistical and programming skills (R, Python etc.) are
Candidates should be proficient in oral and written English and willing and
eligible to reside in Ribeirão Preto (SP, Brazil), working at the Biology
Department of FFCLRP-USP. Preference will be given to candidates with the
ability to communicate in Portuguese, and with availability for immediate
• To undertake original research.
• To plan and carry out research in accordance with the project aims and
• To participate in project meetings, seminars, and be prepared to give
seminars, and attend relevant workshops and conferences.
• To present research in conferences, open days and to departmental
• To write progress reports and prepare results for publication and
dissemination via journals, presentations and the web.
• To cooperate with and/or co-supervise research students working on topics
related to the project.
• To liaise with other members of the team and cooperate with them for the
benefit of the project objectives.
• To help maintain the laboratory environment.
• To develop a sound understanding of ethical and health and safety
regulations, and the responsibilities of themselves and their colleagues.
• To undertake any necessary training and/or development.
• Any other duties commensurate with the grade of the post as directed by
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Proven ability to deliver publication-quality research in plant
ecophysiology or plant functional traits.
• Proven ability to work towards research goals in the face of technical
• Proven ability to work to deadlines to deliver research outputs in the
form of presentations, reports and, where appropriate, demonstrations.
• Ability to communicate with scientists and researchers from a variety of
• Ability to relate to other researchers and students in an academic
context, to learn and teach new skills.
• Ability to organise own work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to prioritise own work in response to deadlines.
• Ability to set up the apparatus needed to capture data and to search the
market for the most suitable apparatus.
• Ability to exercise initiative in formulating and executing work plans.
• Willingness to undertake any necessary training for the role.
• Willingness to work as part of a team and to be open-minded and
• Willingness to travel both within Brazil and abroad to conduct research
and attend conferences.
• An open, flexible and positive approach to working in a constantly
PARTICULARS OF THE POSITION
The postdoctoral fellow will produce innovative research on plant
functional trait in relation to environmental variables and evolutionary
relationships. The appointee will be expected to develop new and creative
methods to derive ecologically sound datasets, using ecophysilogical
methods. Also, this position will require considerable field work efforts
at remote and challenging areas.
The fellowship is for 24. The monthly salary of the post-doc fellowship is
equal to R$ 6,819.30. Research Contingency Funds equal to 15% of the annual
fellowship are available for research related expenses, such as field and
lab costs and attending conferences.
Candidates of any nationality may apply. A cover letter, CV, and the names
of three contacts able to provide letters of recommendation upon request
should be emailed to Prof. Tomas Ferreira Domingues (tomas at ffclrp.usp.br).
Applications will be received until December 17th, 2016.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net