[ES_JOBS_NET] Postdoctoral Fellow, NCAR, Atmospheric Chemistry
christin at ucar.edu
Sun Jan 24 09:14:34 MST 2016
Postdoctoral Fellow I
*PLEASE NOTE: This position is contingent upon program win. We
anticipate program award at the end of February, with a potential start
date of March 1 st , 2016.*This is a full-time, one year, term position.
Initial consideration will be given to applications received prior to
4:00 p.m. on January 29 th , 2016. Thereafter, applications will be
reviewed on an as-needed basis.
NCAR – ACOM/SATREMOTE/ACRESP (Atmospheric Chemistry Observations &
Relocation - Dependent on location
UCAR/NCAR will not sponsor a work visa to fill this position
*BASIC JOB FUNCTION:*
The Postdoctoral Fellow will engage in original individual and group
research analyzing the data collected during the FRAPPÉ and DISCOVER-AQ
campaigns. He/she will use the observations together with the WRF-Chem
model to evaluate and improve currently available emission inventories
for Colorado, to gain an understanding on the processes and feedbacks
that control air quality in the Front Range and to develop emission
control strategies for reducing ozone pollution in the Front Range.
He/she will actively collaborate with the Science Teams and serve as a
liaison between NCAR, the Colorado Department of Public Health and
Environment (CDPHE), NASA, university groups and others and consolidate
the emerging results from all groups into a final report.
* Conduct original research into evaluating and improving currently
available emission inventories for Colorado.
* Evaluate WRF-Chem simulations and assess optimal configuration for
simulating Front Range meteorology, transport and chemistry.
* Conduct sensitivity simulations to assess the contributions of
different emission sources to summertime ozone in the Front Range
* Communicate and Collaborate with the Science Teams and consolidate
the emerging results into a report.
* Communicate the results of the research through publication in
peer-reviewed journals, book chapters, meeting proceedings,
presentations at scientific meetings, and contributions to
*Education and Experience:*
* Ph.D. in physics, atmospheric science or equivalent, or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
* Demonstrated record of research and publication.
* Desired: three or more years’ experience in chemical transport
modeling and data analysis
*Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:*
* Experience with the analysis and interpretation of field campaign data.
* Familiarity with global and regional chemical transport models
(preferably WRF-Chem or CMAQ), so as to be able to run simulations
and to customize the model code and inputs for specific studies,
along with analyzing the results.
* Detailed knowledge of fundamental processes controlling atmospheric
chemistry and transport; detailed understanding of ozone chemistry
* Knowledge of the application and interpretation of satellite remote
* Ability to participate and interact productively in
* Skills in written and oral communication of research results and
presentation of proposals.
* Skills in UNIX, FORTRAN and IDL.
*Decision Making and Problem Solving:*
* In consultation with supervisor and other senior staff, determines
research priorities for his/her research.
* Take the initiative to engage collaborations with members of the
FRAPPÉ and DISCOVER-AQ Science Teams.
* Ability to identify scientifically interesting results in the analysis.
* Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks with minimal
* Must solve complex problems using innovative mathematical, physical
and chemical techniques.
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an equal
opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that strives to
develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is committed to providing
equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and
does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion,
national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are committed
to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that values and
respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net