[ES_JOBS_NET] Assistant Lab Supervisor, Palmer Station, Winter
christin at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 20 06:21:16 MST 2016
Assistant Lab Supervisor, Palmer Station, Winter
Scientist / Research & Development
Centennial, CO US
Potential for Teleworking:
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess:
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain:
• **This position requires deployment to Antarctica and has a contract
length of 7 months from approximately March 2017 through early October
• Bachelors degree from an accredited college in a related discipline,
or equivalent experience/combined education, with 5 years of
professional experience; or 3 years of professional experience with a
related Masters degree. Considered career, or journey, level.
• Four years of laboratory or observatory technical work experience is
required. Laboratory or observatory technical work should include
operational experience utilizing analytical equipment. A background in
an academic research environment providing direct support to science
projects is highly desirable. Operational knowledge of Windows 95 and MS
Office Products is needed.
• ***Deployment to Antarctica is required for this position. The
individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and
dental examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica.
Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of
employment offer or other employment action.***
This position is responsible for assisting in the safe operation and
maintenance of laboratories in support of USAP scientists at Palmer
Station, Antarctica. Laboratories include analytical chemistry,
computer, microbiology, microscopy, molecular biology, radioisotope,
seawater aquaria and general use laboratories configured to support
atmospheric physics, geology, and glaciology projects. Duties and
• Assists in review of research requirements, planning and scheduling of
laboratory support for science projects.
• Assists in researching, evaluating, justifying, and procuring
laboratory and field instruments and equipment. Assists in receipt and
inventory of capital equipment, instruments, materials and supplies.
• Provide input to the Supervisor, Laboratory Operations Palmer Area
S&TPS Manager on suggested improvements to the laboratories and the
associated systems that would enhance their use as research facilities.
• Briefs scientists on safe laboratory practices and procedures and
monitors compliance to Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Laboratory Standard and radiation safety.
• Assists in monitoring the receipt, inventory, and proper use and
disposal of hazardous laboratory chemicals including radioisotopes and
photographic chemicals. Assists in segregating and packaging laboratory
solid wastes for proper disposal, reuse, and/or recycling.
• Assists in the installation, calibration, and maintenance of
instruments and equipment. Assists in the receipt and inventory of
capital equipment, instruments, materials, and supplies. Assists in
maintaining appropriate and accurate inventories of spare parts. Assists
in packaging of capital equipment, instruments, materials, and supplies
for recalibration, repair, or replacement.
• Assists in scheduling and coordinating the fabrication of equipment
and other support requests made by science projects.
• In the absence of a Cryogenics Technician, assists in providing
cryogens, monitoring the safe use of cryogens, and monitoring a
cryogenic supplies inventory.
• Conducts briefings on research and tours of the laboratory facilities
for distinguished visitors.
• Responsible for implementing and maintaining a safe workplace program
and ensuring that safety is the highest priority on the job site.
• Prepares weekly and end of season status reports as necessary.
• Performs other duties as required, including community duties such as
janitorial, snow removal and emergency response.
• This a winter position will be based at Palmer Station.
• The standard work schedule for this position is 54 hours per week.
(Monday through Saturday, 9 hours per day.)
Leidos is a global leader in the integration and application of
information, technology and systems working to solve the world's
toughest challenges in the civil, health, defense, intelligence and
homeland security markets. The company's 33,000 diverse employees
support vital missions for government and commercial customers in 30
countries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual
revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January
1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of
Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions
business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The
company's diverse employees support vital missions for government and
commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with
disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos is
an Equal Opportunity Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net