[ES_JOBS_NET] CIRES/CSD Aerosol Mass Spectrometer Research Associate CSD-30, Boulder, CO
christin at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 7 16:52:51 MDT 2015
CIRES/CSD Aerosol Mass Spectrometer Research Associate CSD-30
Position Type: Research Associate
Position Posted: September 23, 2015
A Research Associate position for postdoctoral work is available in the
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Studies (CIRES) at
the University of Colorado-Boulder. The successful applicant will work
at the U. S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration – Earth
System Research Laboratory/Chemical Sciences Division (NOAA ESRL/CSD).
He or she will participate in laboratory and field work using a
customized Aerodyne Time-of-Flight Aerosol Mass Spectrometer (ToF-AMS)
and be involved at all levels of its scientific data analysis and
subsequent publication. The work entails collaboration across several
groups in CSD, where there are a variety of opportunities to pursue
cutting-edge research on the physical and chemical effects of aerosol
particles in the troposphere. There is particular emphasis on upgrading
the ToF-AMS instrument and participating in the upcoming FIREX fire
science laboratory study, which requires 6-8 weeks of field work in
Missoula, MT, during the fall of 2016. The initial term of the
appointment is for one year, with a possibility for extension to a
maximum of three years.
* Operate and calibrate a semi-custom, Aerodyne Time-of-Flight Aerosol
Mass Spectrometer (AMS) with a light-scattering module.
* Use this instrument to study aerosol chemical composition in the
laboratory and ambient atmospheric aerosols, including field work at
the U.S. Forest Service Fire Sciences Laboratory.
* Combine the AMS data with other aerosol and gas-phase measurements.
* Provide support with data analysis and laboratory work for past
field projects involving the AMS.
* Present results at scientific meetings and publish them in
* Background information about the CAP research group, techniques,
previous publications and upcoming projects is available on several
For more information, please contact Dr. Ann Middlebrook
(ann.m.middlebrook at noaa.gov).
* Doctoral degree in chemistry, atmospheric sciences, environmental
engineering, engineering, physics, or related field.
* Publication (or submission for publication) of at least one first
author paper in the peer-reviewed literature.
* Experience in design, construction, operation, and/or maintenance of
custom-built scientific instrumentation.
Required Skills and Abilities:
* Capability for self-guided, motivated, and original research.
* Excellent skills in the operation and maintenance of advanced
instrumentation, ideally acquired by involvement in instrument
design and construction.
* Demonstrated ability to present results at scientific meetings and
publish them in peer-reviewed journals.
* Ability to perform required duties associated with ~2 month field
deployments in support of focused measurement campaigns.
* Ability to work well with other researchers and support staff in a
collaborative research environment.
* Experience with mass spectrometry, laser systems, vacuum technology,
aerosol instrumentation, as well as computer programming and/or
complex data analysis (especially Igor Pro).
* Experience with laboratory or field studies of atmospheric chemistry.
* Strong recommendations from research advisors.
The position will be filled as a Research Associate at the University of
Colorado Boulder and will be eligible for employee benefits, including
22 days of vacation (for a 100% position) per year.
Required Application Materials
Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data
(application) form, and upload the required documents:
2- Proof of highest degree earned (copy of diploma or unofficial
3- A cover letter
4- List of three professional references with all contact information
from whom an official written letter of recommendation will be requested
at the appropriate time during the search.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 156594 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/es_jobs_net/attachments/20151007/a616ee41/attachment-0001.pdf
More information about the Es_jobs_net