[ES_JOBS_NET] Meteorologist (DMH), Alaska
christin at ucar.edu
Sun Mar 15 08:31:36 MDT 2015
Title Meteorologist (DMH)
Job Description *Purpose of Position:*Analyze and interpret
meteorological data and prepare weather reports and forecasts for
presentation on Denali Media television stations and websites.
*Position’s Customer(s):*Viewing audience; Chief Meteorologist, and News
*Essential Duties of Position:
*• Responsible for developing weather forecasts and accompanying
computer graphics, delivering on-air weathercasts, and live weather
reports from the field.
• Uses surface and upper air stations, satellites and radar, studies
maps, photographs and charts to predict long and short range weather
conditions, operates computer graphic equipment to produce weather
reports in televised broadcasts and website presentations.
• Communicates critical weather information, especially during severe
weather, to producers and other critical staff members to ensure a
consistent and accurate message to viewers.
• Follows Denali Media guidelines to maintain an interactive presence on
social media platforms.
• Participates in story meetings.
• Reports on weather-related and community events for on-air broadcasts
and web stream.
• Various shift work will be required and well as working on holidays.
• Adherence to clothing and appearance guidelines.
• Work in a cooperative fashion will all other newsroom personnel.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of all aspects of weather data interpretation and
forecasting, including familiarity with computer hardware and software
associated with such data retrieval and presentation.
• Working knowledge of TV weather graphics systems, newsroom software,
general office computer software and basic non-linear editing systems
• Ability to analyze weather patterns into current and forecast information
• Ability to deliver weather information in a concise and understandable way
• Excellent on-air camera skills
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Must have attention to detail
• Knowledge of station guidelines and code of ethics
• Must be technically astute, highly organized and have a reputation for
• Strong verbal communication skills, particularly in the ability to
communicate with all levels of the organization and outside clients
*• Strong verbal communication skills, particularly in the ability to
communicate with all levels of the organization and the public.
• Must be able to reconcile divergent demands of multiple parties under
• Proven ability to collaborate within and outside assigned department
and create an effective working environment for high traffic and/or
potential stressful workloads.
• Excellent active listening skills with the ability to work effectively
with technical and non-technical staff required.
• Self directed and takes the initiative on issues affecting the
• Facilitate a positive team experience for team members.
• Neat, clean, professional appearance when in the field.
*Years of Experience required to meet minimum qualifications:*Two or
more years experience as a meteorologist required.
*Level of Education required to meet minimum qualifications:*High school
diploma or equivalent required. BA/BS in Meteorology, Climatology, or
Atmospheric Science preferred. A combination of relevant education and
experience to perform the duties may contribute to years of experience
on a year for year basis.
*Certifications Required*: Must be a Certified meteorologist (AMS/NWA)
*Position reports to: Chief Meteorologist and Executive News Director
Number of Direct Reports: 0
*Office & Field Position: Physical effort may include stooping,
kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing,
pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive
motions. Ability to lift and carry up to 20 lbs.
Hearing, vision, depth perception, and hand-to-eye coordination
sufficient to perform job duties. Visual and auditory acuity necessary
to operate equipment. Ability to tolerate temperature and weather
extremes. Strength, stamina and coordination sufficient to perform job
*Working Conditions:*Works inside a climate controlled environment
throughout the year but might be assigned to field duties on occasion.
Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and
holidays as needed.
*Driving Requirements:*Must possess and maintain a driver’s license,
proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record.
*EEO:*GCI is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran
status, or another characteristic protected by law.
*Disclaimer:*The above information on this description has been designed
to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees
within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be
interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, and
responsibilities required of employees assigned to this job.
Telecommute Available? No
Employment Status Full-Time
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net