[ES_JOBS_NET] NAS Program Assistant opening
AStaudt at nas.edu
Fri Jun 12 15:42:52 MDT 2015
We are looking for a Program Assistant to work with the Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate (BASC)<http://dels.nas.edu/basc> and the Polar Research Board (PRB)<http://dels.nas.edu/prb> at the National Academy of Sciences. This is an entry level position suitable for a recent college grad. Most of the tasks are administrative in nature. That said, the position does provide a front row seat to see how things work at the science policy interface.
Here's a link to the position description (also pasted below FYI) and application site: http://chk.tbe.taleo.net/chk02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=NAS&cws=1&rid=8091
Please share with your students or other promising candidates!
Amanda Staudt, Ph.D., Director
Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate
Polar Research Board
Program Assistant, Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate
Corporate Headquarters - DC
Div on Earth & Life Studies
Job Req #:
High school diploma, GED, or equivalent knowledge and 2 years of related experience. Bachelor's degree, in a related subject, and 1-2 years experience desirable. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to follow instructions and resolve problems with supervisory consultation or by using closely prescribed procedures. Ability to be flexible and change directions as the job dictates. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies' departments through effective communication. Good written, oral, and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
The Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate (BASC) addresses issues at the forefront of contemporary concerns. Climate change and impacts, global climate models and the implications of their results, air pollution, and severe weather are topics discussed not just by scientists, but in Congress and in headlines every day. Our understanding of these issues directly affects the nation's environmental policies, energy choices, manufacturing decisions, construction codes, and agricultural methods. In addition, there are implications for human health and emergency management.
Under supervision, the Program Assistant provides routine clerical and administrative support, assisting in the daily execution of assigned program(s) or project(s). Provides staff support that includes answering phones and screening calls, word processing, copying, faxing, filing, preparing vouchers, assembling meeting materials, and making travel arrangements, drafting correspondence and assisting with mailings. Maintains and updates records, databases, and files. Assists in coordination of unit and committee meetings, including compiling and reproducing agenda books and briefing materials, arranging food, beverage and support services for meetings; registers attendees; coordinates travel and lodging arrangements and performs close-out activities when meetings/reports have concluded. Under direction may enter edits in draft reports and copy edit and/or format newsletters and/or other program /project materials. Attends various administrative staff meetings, training classes and workshops; may perform basic subject-oriented literature searches for staff and committee members.
In this clerical and administrative support role, the majority of time is spent assisting in the daily execution of assigned program(s) or project(s). Under general supervision, incumbent performs tasks of varying complexity following pre-determined guidelines. Incumbent receives guidance/supervision on new assignments, but normally works independently on mastered tasks.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Performs routine clerical tasks including word processing, copying, faxing, filing, answering and screening calls, drafting correspondence, and assisting with mailings. Responds to inquiries and follows-up on communications. Maintains and updates records, databases, and files.
2. Assists with the logistical arrangements for committee meetings, including assembling and reproducing agenda books and briefing materials. Arranges travel and lodging for staff, members, etc. Arranges food and beverage and supporting services for meetings. Registers attendees and may provide basic assistance at meetings as directed.
3. Prepares and processes invoice vouchers and travel expense reports in compliance with applicable policies and procedures.
4. Inputs edits and proofreads reports. Formats text and publications. Forwards materials to printer.
5. Performs administrative-related Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA) tasks.
6. Attends meetings, training classes, and workshops.
7. Updates applicable databases and systems on a timely basis and ensures documents and files are accurately maintained and archived.
8. May perform basic subject-oriented literature searches for staff and committee members and gather references.
9. Where applicable, updates and maintains web pages.
10. May respond to general inquiries as directed.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net