[ES_JOBS_NET] EDF Senior Climate Scientist, Location Flexible (EDF Office)
egroves at edf.org
Tue Jan 13 14:56:36 MST 2015
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The Office of Chief Scientist is the nexus of science at EDF, ensuring that the science (natural and social sciences) that is the backbone for all EDF policy positions is based on the best available information. To be most effective in this role the Office of Chief Scientist provides programmatic support for all scientists at EDF and fosters relationships with scientists outside the organization.
The Senior Climate Scientist will be drive the scientific foundation for all climate-associated initiatives at EDF and be a key member of the climate leadership team. Climate is the largest of EDF's four focus areas and the Senior Climate Scientist will (i) help EDF stay at the cutting-edge of climate science, (ii) ensure that EDF accurately employs climate science when addressing climate change, and (iii) provide guidance for high-level decision-making within programs and the organization at large relative to policy strategies.
* Responsible for providing guidance and advice for EDF climate-related initiatives and for EDF's program/executive-level decision-making processes.
* Responsible for leading climate science strategy at EDF.
* With other staff scientists, ensures scientific accuracy of EDF generated materials
* Conducts independent research and continues to publish regularly in peer-review literature
* Leads efforts to convene worldwide climate experts to facilitate discussions of climate science advancements and emerging issues
* Responsible for maintaining the scientific integrity of EDF's climate work and keeping EDF at the cutting edge of climate science.
* Continue to be a thought leader in the field of climate science and remain up to date with scientific literature
* Represent EDF in a variety of settings, including state and federal legislatures, state and federal agencies, meetings with corporate executives, and meetings with other eNGOs.
* Effectively translate and distill complex scientific concepts into accessible language for EDF donors and members.
* Lead the effort to build and nurture ties to the academic/research communities relevant to climate science, through outreach, presentations at workshops and conferences, informal contacts, etc.
* Maintain an involvement in publishable research that can inform EDF's work
* Reports to the Chief Scientist and will likely manage Scientists and other staff
* A PhD in physical climate science (e.g. atmosphere/ocean) or related field and at least five years' experience in academia with desire to transition to an advocacy context.
* Senior-level contributor in area of specialization with full mastery of subject matter, able to lead and mentor others.
* A recognized expert in his/her field with deep, original, and comprehensive subject matter experience.
* Breadth of intellectual capabilities aside from specific area of expertise and interest in broader context in which climate science is situated
* Demonstrated scientific expertise, including but not limited to a record of scholarly publications and/or involvement in scientific panels
* Proven ability to lead a comprehensive science-focused project
* Proven strategic thinker with demonstrated scientific and analytical expertise in issue area.
* Initiates and maintains extensive contacts within the scientific community
* Ability to synthesize, interpret, and communicate scientific data in an advocacy setting
* Ability to support fundraising initiatives
* Ability to serve as an expert for media inquiries
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer
APPLY HERE: https://hire.jobvite.com/j?aj=oltPZfwm&s=EarthSciences
Assistant, Human Resources
Environmental Defense Fund
18 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02108
T 617 406 1826
egroves at edf.org<mailto:egroves at edf.org>
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 6162 bytes
Url : http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/es_jobs_net/attachments/20150113/3d37b355/attachment-0001.jpg
More information about the Es_jobs_net