[ES_JOBS_NET] Es_jobs_net Job Posting: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Multiscale Modeling and Eddy-Diffusivity / Mass-Flux EDMF)
jennifer at adclub.com
Fri Feb 13 11:09:34 MST 2015
Multiscale Modeling and Eddy-Diffusivity / Mass-Flux (EDMF) - 80536
Organization: ES-Earth Sciences
This postdoctoral researcher position is for an individual with expertise in Earth’ s clouds and convection and the implications of these processes for global climate change. We seek a highly motivated individual with expertise and interests in developing and modeling atmospheric hydrological processes to join Department of Energy projects on Multiscale Modeling and Eddy-Diffusivity / Mass-Flux (EDMF) parameterizations. The position offers an excellent environment for working with a highly skilled interdisciplinary team developing an adaptive global cloud-resolving model (AGCRM) including climate and computational scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) and Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL). The postdoc will also join the Climate Sciences Department at LBNL and will work directly with the Department Head and PI of the AGCRM project. The Department is active in advancing many facets of experimental and computational climate science.
The successful candidate will focus on representing the cloud, convective, and moist boundary-layer processes in the AGCRM and on projecting the implications of these processes for future climate change. The objective is to develop a modeling framework suitable for exploring the significance of these processes for cloud/climate feedbacks, climate extremes, and radiative-convective equilibrium in warmer climate. The model will combine a multiscale atmospheric dynamical core, explicit cloud macrophysics, and parameterized cloud microphysics and boundary-layer turbulence to attain this objective.
The work will require an applicant with a wide range of skills in: (1) development and application of high-resolution models of atmospheric phenomena; (2) intensive use of state-of-the-science models to investigate climate processes; (3) investigation of the connections between clouds, convection, and climate dynamics; (4) oral and written presentation of results; and (5) ability to work in an integrated team environment.
• Contribute to the development of global multiscale cloud-system-resolving models.
• Use this model in idealized simulations to test paradigms for cloud/climate feedbacks.
• Apply this model to understand the evolution of the hydrological cycle in a warmer climate.
• Quantify the changing statistics of extreme storms and cyclones subject to climate change.
• Characterize the modeled versus measured multiscale properties of atmospheric phenomena.
• Author technical reports and peer-reviewed journal articles.
• Produce and deliver oral and written presentations of scientific results.
• Work effectively in a large and integrated team and contribute to an active intellectual environment.
• Ph.D. in atmospheric science, physics, applied mathematics, or a closely related field.
• Working knowledge of the cloud and convective processes in the Earth’s climate system.
• Experience in the development and testing of coupled climate models.
• Strong track record of software development in a fast-paced computational science team context
• Experience in analysis of the climate system using simulations, observations, and advanced analytical techniques.
• Strong written and oral communications skills.
• Strong mathematical skills.
• Demonstrated ability to initiate and conduct innovative and creative research.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams.
Notes: Berkeley Lab understands the postdoctoral experience in a research environment is unique. We are committed to the growth and development of early career researchers in pursuit of becoming next generation scientists and engineers.
This is a 1 year term appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. Salary for postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree
This position requires completion of a background check.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=29191 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Ad Club Advertising
Toll Free: 800.333.1228
Toll Free Fax: 800.759.4675
jennifer at adclub.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net