[ES_JOBS_NET] Scientist I, NCAR – High Altitude Observatory (HAO), Boulder, CO
christin at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 28 09:52:04 MDT 2015
*PLEASE NOTE: *This is a new full-time position. Initial
consideration will be given to applications received prior to 4:00
p.m. on Wednesday, October 21, 2015. Thereafter, applications will
be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
NCAR – High Altitude Observatory (HAO)
Partial relocation costs paid per UCAR’s relocation policy
UCAR/NCAR will sponsor a work visa to fill this position
*BASIC JOB FUNCTION: *
Conduct independent and collaborative research, model development,
and numerical experimentation to support HAO’s research objectives
with a focus on addressing outstanding questions in
ionosphere-thermosphere research. Contributes to NCAR and HAO
programs through leadership and participation in high-priority
projects such as the development of the Whole Atmosphere Community
Climate Model Extension (WACCM-X), modeling support for new space-
and ground-based missions, and the development of ionospheric data
assimilation tools. Interact with scientists throughout NCAR and
the university community on research related to space weather and
Sun-Climate interactions. Provides service to the community through
external committees, editorships, reviews, education/outreach,
professional society activities, communicating science to the
public, professional development of staff/visitors, student
mentoring, or diversity efforts. Communicates research results by
publishing papers in scientific journals and by giving presentations
at national and international meetings.
* Conduct high-quality research to support HAO's scientific
objectives with a focus on addressing outstanding questions in
* Interacts with scientists within NCAR and from universities and
research laboratories to improve our understanding of major
processes that influence the ionosphere-thermosphere system and
improve their representation in global models.
* Establishes a national reputation by writing scientific papers
describing research results and publishing them in refereed
scientific journals, and by communicating results at national
and international scientific meetings.
* Participates actively in the scientific activities of the
Atmosphere-Ionosphere-Magnetosphere (AIM) section.
* Contributes to the development of internally or externally
funded proposals as a Principal or Co- Investigator, when
* Reviews research papers in-house and for professional journals.
Reviews proposals and may serve on professional committees. May
interact with and help educate the public about research
pertaining to the goals and objectives of NCAR’s science programs.
* May supervise project scientists, associate scientists, software
engineers, student assistants, or post docs, as appropriate, in
ways consistent with NCAR Policies and Procedures and with
Affirmative Action Compliance program goals.
Education and Experience:
* PhD. in relevant field such as Chemistry, Meteorology,
Atmospheric Science, Physics
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Demonstrated ability to conduct high-quality independent
ionospheric and upper atmospheric research
* Demonstrated technical ability to work with and develop elements
of complex global models
* Demonstrated ability to effectively convey research results
through publications in scientific journals and through
presentations at national and international meetings.
* Ability and willingness to lead collaborative research efforts
with model development as a key component
* Ability to work well with multidisciplinary teams of scientists
at NCAR and beyond
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Decision Making and Problem Solving:
* This position requires initiative, independent, and
collaborative pursuit of various avenues for obtaining improved
codes, numerical modeling, and scientific analysis.
* Performs numerical and theoretical model development and
investigations. Defines and resolves complex scientific and
technical problems in model validation and data analysis.
* Designs codes customized to address specific research problems.
* Makes full use of journal literature and interaction with
colleagues in resolving scientific research challenges.
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an
*equal opportunity employer*
We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status,
sexual orientation, domestic partner status, disability, or veteran
Boulder, Colorado, United States
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net