[ES_JOBS_NET] PRECIP Summer Intern
christin at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 13 09:51:37 MDT 2015
Job site and application at:
*PRECIP Summer Intern*
PLEASE NOTE : This is a new term recruitment for six weeks during the
summer of 2015. Initial consideration will be given to applications
received prior to 4:00 pm on Friday, April 24, 2015. Thereafter,
applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
NCAR - Research Applications Laboratory (RAL)
Relocation benefits not provided.
UCAR/NCAR will not sponsor a work visa to fill this position.
*2015 Program Dates: June 15, 2015 to July 31, 2015*
*IMPORTANT*: To qualify, students must currently be juniors or seniors
in a high school or attending a community college. NCAR will not provide
funds for housing or transportation to/from Boulder. Any students
applying from outside of the local Denver/Boulder area will need to have
a parent, legal guardian or chaperone with them for the 6-week internship.
*The application process will require students to submit a resume,
provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher, write a short essay,
and their academic transcript.*
*BASIC JOB FUNCTION*: Participates as a High School or Community College
summer intern in the Pre-College Summer Internship Program (PRECIP).
A few of the exciting areas of scientific research students will
participate in include, but are not limited to:
* Understanding a rapidly changing climate and its impact on the Earth
and its inhabitants
* Severe weather events such as hurricanes, tornadoes and floods
* Surface weather measurement techniques
* Aviation weather forecasting and product development
Students will work with scientists, engineers and staff at NCAR’s
Research Applications Laboratory (RAL) in Boulder, Colorado. Students
will be exposed to the methods of scientific inquiry and will be
required to participate in a poster session at the conclusion of the
summer program where they will present the results of their project.
Education and Experience:
* Must be currently enrolled in a high school program as a junior or
senior (students must be at least 16 years of age by June 16, 2015
* Must be currently enrolled in a community college.
* The 2015 RAL PRECIP will provide students with an opportunity to
work with NCAR scientists and engineers on state-of-the-art research
projects for six weeks during the summer months.
* Ability to work with a diverse group of peers.
* Skill in the use of software for communication purposes (e.g.,
Microsoft Word, Excel).
* Ability and willingness to learn and use scientific computing tools
* Good oral and written communication skills.
* Basic problem solving skills.
* Ability to apply critical thinking skills.
* Strong interest in, and curiosity about, science or engineering as a
* An aptitude for, or interest in, math and science.
* Ability to work half-time (20 hours/week) in Boulder during the
* Ability to interact with mentors and peers in a manner that supports
collaboration and inquiry.
* Ability and willingness to work within guidelines and policies of
organization and assigned work groups.
* Must be a U.S. citizen or current resident.
*Community and Professional Behavior*. Students are part of a diverse
community of peers working together. Each student will be expected to
contribute positively to the community. Students will also be expected
to interact professionally with all staff, which includes showing up
promptly to work and meetings when expecting and meeting deadlines for
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an*equal
opportunity employer*. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard
to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age,
marital status, sexual orientation, domestic partner status, disability,
or veteran status.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net