[ES_JOBS_NET] Assistant Professor, Hydrogeology, University of Montana
Andrew.Wilcox at mso.umt.edu
Wed Sep 24 12:41:07 MDT 2014
Please see the following announcement regarding a faculty search in Hydrogeology (or visit http://bit.ly/1pEyKVY) and forward to interested candidates. Do not hesitate to contact me with questions about the search. Thanks.
Assistant Professor, Department of Geosciences—Hydrogeologist (1023-254)
University of Montana, Missoula, MT
The Department of Geosciences at the University of Montana (UM) invites applications for a tenure-track, Assistant Professor position in Hydrogeology. Applications will be accepted from candidates with research and teaching interests over a wide spectrum of groundwater science applications. Areas of specialization may include, but are not limited to groundwater resource (quantity and/or quality) evaluation, groundwater modeling at multiple spatial and temporal scales, surface water-groundwater interactions, contaminant transport and fate, groundwater hydrodynamics, or groundwater management and sustainability.
The successful candidate is expected to establish both a teaching program and an externally funded research program that expand the scope of our departmental expertise and complement our existing strengths in field studies and numerical simulation of multiphase flow, geochemistry, geomorphology, glaciology, and hydrology. Advising and supervision of student research at the undergraduate and graduate levels is also required. Teaching responsibilities are an average of three courses per academic year across the curriculum, including an upper-division undergraduate hydrogeology course. Start date will be Fall 2015.
Required Experience and skills
· A PhD in geological sciences, civil engineering, or closely related field at the time of employment
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Evidence of excellence in teaching or of the potential for teaching excellence
· Evidence of research through peer-reviewed publications appropriate to career stage
· Capacity to effectively mentor undergraduate and graduate student research
· Capacity to effectively teach hydrogeology courses
Preferred Experience and skills
· Postdoctoral experience
· Record of or strong potential for obtaining research funding
· Potential to integrate with Geosciences faculty
* Demonstrated ability to work with diverse students and colleagues
About the Department and UM
The Department of Geosciences has 11 tenured or tenure-track faculty members, about 160 undergraduate majors, and about 30 graduate students. The department’s mission is to develop new knowledge regarding Earth's history, its environment and resources, engage our students in the process, and share that knowledge broadly. We have two areas of special focus: water and earth. In both areas, we analyze how earth materials such as water, minerals, sediments and rocks, and energy move and change. The Department of Geosciences and UM are home to the Center for River Restoration and Stream Renaturalization, the Environmental Biogeochemistry Laboratory, and the Earth Materials Instrumentation Facility.
UM provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. Located at the heart of western Montana’s stunning natural landscape, UM attracts first-rate teachers, researchers, and students from around the world.
HOW TO APPLY: Visit http://bit.ly/1pEyKVY to view full job details and apply online for full consideration.
Complete applications include:
· Cover letter that includes a summary of your interest in the position, a description of your specific research interests, and a statement about your interests, philosophy, and qualifications related to teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels
· Current CV (including a list of refereed publications, record of funding and synergistic activities)
· Names, affiliations, and contact information for four referees
· Up to three publications
Application review will begin on October 9, 2014 and continue until the position is filled. Questions and requests for additional information can be directed to the Chair of the Search Committee, Dr. Andrew Wilcox (andrew.wilcox at umontana.edu<mailto:andrew.wilcox at umontana.edu>).
Diversity is a core value at UM—we welcome the richness of differences. AA/EEO/ADA/Veterans Preference Employer
Department of Geosciences
University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net