[ES_JOBS_NET] Postdoc Researcher, hydrologic forecasting, NCAR (RAL), Boulder, CO
christin at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 9 08:55:00 MDT 2014
Official Job posting:
PLEASE NOTE : This is a new, full-time, one-year term position with
possibility of extension. Initial consideration will be given to
applications received prior to 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 14, 2014.
Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
NCAR - Research Applications Laboratory (RAL)
Basic Function of Job: Contributes to research on the application of
advanced hydrologic prediction science to produce retrospective and
real-time streamflow and hydrologic forecasts for watersheds across
CONUS. This work will increase understanding of the strengths and
limitations of automated streamflow forecasting given current weather
and climate forecasts, datasets, and techniques for meteorological
forecast downscaling, hydrologic modeling and data assimilation. The
person hired for this position will contribute to efforts to build and
maintain a real-time streamflow forecast system and to the application
of integrative modeling platforms such as WRF-Hydro.
* Contributes to research aimed at demonstrating and evaluating
different techniques and datasets supporting real-time hydrologic
forecasting. Contributes to the development of a real-time platform
to support this evaluation. Tasks will include developing, applying
and benchmarking new approaches for forecasts, data assimilation,
post-processing and calibration, and verification.
* Assists in the engineering of codes/scripts to run a hydrologic
forecasting system in real-time and retrospectively (for hindcasts)
on UNIX-based systems, including support for real-time observational
and forecast data streams, creation of forecast products and
updating of a public-facing website.
* Participates in developing research programs with internal and
external collaborators across disciplines and contribute to writing
proposals for external funding.
* Communicates research results through publication in peer-reviewed
journals, meeting proceedings, and presentations at scientific meetings.
Education and Experience:
* Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences, Hydrology or a related geoscience or
engineering discipline, with expertise in land-surface modeling and
* Experience in analyzing forecast results, particularly from
hydrologic forecast models.
* Experience with the development and application of hydrology models
for hydrometeorological forecast purposes
* Familiarity with or course work in statistics, including objective
* Demonstrated record of research and publication.
* Familiarity with operational forecasting environments is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* In-depth knowledge of hydrologic prediction science, including
hydrologic process modeling (i.e., simulation) and statistical
methods for ensemble calibration and verification.
* Ability to establish and maintain a nationally recognized
* Ability to participate in and interact productively with hydrologic
analysis and prediction groups, statisticians and
hydrometeorological scientists at NCAR and among the
hydrometeorological forecasting community.
* Strong skills in written and oral communication of research results,
including in an interdisciplinary context.
* Technical/computational skills:
o Strong competence in UNIX.
o Competence with scripting languages such as Python and/or Perl
o Familiarity with GIS or GIS-equivalent (e.g., gdal)
o Familiarity with FORTRAN and C programming languages
o Competency with analysis and scripting in R or open-source
equivalent is also desired
and database programs (e.g., MySQL) a plus.
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an*equal
opportunity employer*. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard
to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age,
marital status, sexual orientation, domestic partner status, disability,
or veteran status.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net