[ES_JOBS_NET] Assistant Atmospheric Scientist - - Field Operations, instrument and protocol development M6811 - Brookhaven National Laboratory
Sanfilippo, Christina M
csanfilippo at bnl.gov
Wed Oct 8 12:51:56 MDT 2014
FLSA Status: Exempt
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. The Biological, Environmental & Climate Sciences Department has a full time opportunity for an Assistant Atmospheric Scientist under the direction of Dr. Stephen Springston.
Organization Overview :
The Biological, Environmental and Climate Sciences Department is the steward for Brookhaven National Laboratory's capabilities in biology and biotechnology, environmental science, climate science, radiobiology, structural biology, plant biology, and bio-imaging.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Support ongoing field operations - provide expert guidance to onsite operators. Specify and update configurations in field visits as needed.
* Instrument support using scientific expertise - Adjust instrumentation based on local extreme conditions and scientific objectives. Solve measurement problems. Work with vendors to improve performance. Fundamental knowledge of measurement principles is essential.
* Instrument and protocol development
* Monitoring of data quality - Using scientific background, apply judgments, devise algorithmic tests, and QA/QC criteria. Work with ARM Data Quality Office to develop automated checks.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Demonstrated Problem Solving Skills
* Principles and practice of particle measurement technology
* Broad understanding of atmospheric aerosol physical and chemical processes
* Broad laboratory field experience in one or more areas of aerosol instrumentation (deliquescence/efflorescence measurements, size distribution, optical properties, and chemical characterization)
* Excellent communication skills
* Ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team
* Flexibility to travel two to three months a year (foreign and domestic)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Experience in measuring aerosol-precursor trace gases
* Experience in data processing coupled with formal QA/QC
* US citizenship preferred (for access to some field sites)
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations :
Must be willing and able to perform field work for extended periods of time in remote locations including both arctic and tropical climate zones. Work also involves moderate lifting and strenuous work activities. Some locations require immunizations or other medical clearances.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
* Medical Plans
* Dental Plans
* Life Insurance
* 401(k) Plan
* Retirement Plan
* On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, apply online at www.bnl.gov and click Jobs, then sort by job title and apply to job title; Asst Atmospheric Scientist - Field Operations, instrument and protocol development M6811 .
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Phone (631) 344-2816
csanfilippo at bnl.gov
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net