[ES_JOBS_NET] Post-Doc Position in airborne Trace Gas Detection (Project CARIBIC), Environmental Research Center, University College Cork , Ireland
a.ruth at ucc.ie
Tue Dec 2 15:52:47 MST 2014
Job Posted: Dec 1, 2014
Closing Date for Applications: Jan 5, 2015
Department: Physics & Environmental Research Institute
College: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science, University College Cork, Ireland
Contract Type: Fixed Term Whole-Time
Post Duration: 36 months
Job Type: Research, funded through Science Foundation Ireland
Salary: €33,975 - €36,003 p.a.
A position is available for a Post-Doctoral Researcher to work in the Physics Department / Environmental Research Institute at UCC. The successful applicant will work in a project under the direction of the Principal Investigator to develop a trace gas absorption instrument in the framework of the European CARIBIC project (Civil Aircraft for the Regular Investigation of the atmosphere Based on an Instrument Container; http://www.caribic-atmospheric.com/). CARIBIC is an innovative project in the area of atmospheric sciences and climate research with the goal to investigate and monitor important chemical and physical processes in the Earth´s atmosphere by taking regular and highly sensitive concentration measurements of atmospheric trace constituents during long distance commercial flights. The consortium of CARIBIC partners employ and further develop a unique airfreight container with automated scientific equipment which samples air and particles within the cargo bay of a commercial passenger aircraft, an Airbus A340-600 by Lufthansa. The successful candidate will be expected to drive the development and testing of a proto-type cavity-based absorption instrument for this airborne platform. The work will be performed in close collaboration with our partners at the Institute for Meteorology and Climate Research (IMK), Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany and the Chemical Science Division of the Earth System Research Laboratory (NOAA), Boulder (CO), USA.
The post is a fixed term contract and will involve travel and short-term research visits in Germany (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology) and the USA (NOAA, Boulder, Colorado).
Expected Skill Set
We are seeking an enthusiastic, motivated person with a high level of initiative, capable of working independently and within a team. The candidate should have fluent English and excellent communication, organization, planning and interpersonal skills.
Ideally, the candidate will have experience in instrument development for atmospheric applications, outstanding experimental, engineering and IT skills (e.g. solid works), as well as experience in optics and spectroscopy. Previous experience in interfacing, electrics and electronics, in optics and analytical research, as well as in experimental data retrieval is highly desirable. Previous experience in industrial research in the area of sensing is desirable but not essential. Applicants should have a strong innovative spirit with interest in commercialization of her/his work.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
· -To conduct and lead a specified programme of research within the framework of CARIBIC under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator and corresponding project leaders at the named partner institutions.
· -To engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required by the Principal Investigator, Department or College at UCC, in order to develop research skills and competencies.
· -To support the Principal Investigator and research group in the successful realization of the envisaged research programme in the context of the CARIBIC project.
· -To engage in the dissemination of the research results in which they are engaged, as directed by and with the support of and under the supervision of the Principal Investigator and the corresponding project leaders at the named partner institutions.
· -To become familiar with the publication process
· -To engage in the wider research activities of the Research Group and its partners.
· -To engage in administrative and management work associated with the research project.
· -To carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
· -To contribute to the possible exploitation of the innovative potential of the research being conducted during the term of the post.
· -To acquire generic knowledge and transferable skills (including project management, IP related knowledge, business skills and potentially postgraduate mentoring/supervision).
· -To interact closely with postgraduate research students who are studying for a Masters or a PhD and have an agreed role in supporting these students in their day to day research in conjunction with the supervisor or supervision team.
· -To perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein (e.g. outreach activities).
· -To gain experience in grant writing.
· -A PhD qualification in engineering or physics, or an area relevant to the research summarized above.
· -Appropriate research experience
· -Technical competence and accomplishment in the development of optical instrumentation.
· -Extensive competence and experience in the electrics, electronics, automation and computer interfacing.
· -Competence in technical drawing, computer assisted design (e.g. Solid Works), and other mechanical engineering aspects.
· -Competence in data reduction, retrieving procedures, and other relevant IT skills.
· -Be goal orientated but with strong attention to detail.
· -Ability to work well as part of a team, including consulting, collaborating and building relationships with key stakeholders.
· -Have a good track record of scientific communications including authorship.
· -Excellent communication, organisation and interpersonal skills.
· -Have excellent report writing skills.
· -Leadership potential and/or supervisory skills.
· -A commitment to gaining practical experience working on a research project.
Application documents (CV and 2 letters of recommendations) and/or informal enquiries on the post should be sent to:
Name: Dr. Andy Ruth
Title: Principal Investigator & Senior Lecturer
Email Address: a.ruth at ucc.ie
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net