[ES_JOBS_NET] Communications Specialist (Writer/Editor II), UCAR, Boulder, CO
christin at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 12 06:47:29 MDT 2014
*PLEASE NOTE:*This is a new, full-time position. Initial
consideration will be given to applications received prior to 4:00
p.m. (MDT) on Friday, August 22, 2014. Thereafter, applications will
be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
UCAR Community Programs (UCP)
Global Learning & Observations to Benefit the Environment (GLOBE)
Relocation benefits not provided.
UCAR/NCAR willnotsponsor a work visa (e.g., H1B, etc.) to fill this
*BASIC JOB FUNCTION*: This position works for two entities within
the UCAR Community Programs (UCP): The UCP Directorate and the GLOBE
Program. The functions include:
UCP Directorate Functions
The Communications Specialist will create and execute a
comprehensive internal and external communications strategy for
UCAR's Community Programs (UCP). The position is responsible for
writing and supporting the delivery of consistent digital and print
content in line with UCP's strategic priorities. The position works
with UCP's Programs and Directorate as well as with UCAR's
Communications Office to identify opportunities to enhance UCP's
external profile and to support the UCP Directorate in internal
communications, publications, and special projects/events. As part
of UCAR, UCP offer a suite of innovative resources, tools, and
services for the atmospheric and Earth science community.
GLOBE Program Functions
The Communications Specialist will also serve as a writer/editor for
the GLOBE program. S/he will help to formulate social media
strategies for the GLOBE Implementation Office (GIO) including the
planning, designing, writing, editing and production of
communication products as needed. GLOBE is an international,
inquiry-based education and science program that unites students,
teachers, and scientists in study and research about Earth's
environment. The goals of the GLOBE Program are to: a) improve
science education; b) increase scientific understanding of the Earth
as a system; and c) enhance environmental awareness of individuals
* Develops and executes a comprehensive internal and external
communications strategy for UCAR's Community Programs (UCP).
* Produces consistent digital and print content in line with UCP's
* Collaborates closely with the UCAR Communications Office to
enhance UCP's external profile.
* Works with each UCP program to enhance their external messaging
in line with their strategic priorities.
* Provides messaging and writing support for UCP presentations,
speeches, and external meetings.
* Updates and monitors UCP website content.
* Represents UCP on UCAR-wide committees, as needed.
* Creates social media content across various platforms, and
engages communities via social media.
* Serves as writer/editor on projects as assigned. (Example: STARS
and Community Profiles, NASA Nuggets).
* Assists in setting style and design standards for documents.
Oversees the design and production of templates, documents, and
other communications products to ensure attractiveness and
* Updates and monitors web content, using the supplied web style
guide to create and maintain web content and graphical images.
Education and Experience:
* Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or related
* a minimum of six years as a communications specialist preferably
serving diverse stakeholders.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Demonstrated experience in effective internal and external
communication functions including writing, staff relations, and
deployment on multimedia platforms including the web, social
media and video broadcasts.
* Demonstrated experience with science-related communications and
engaging a wide range of stakeholders around science-related
* Ability to prioritize tasks in line with set goals and strategies.
* Advanced skill in writing and editing.
* Demonstrated skill in analyzing communication needs and
* Excellent project management including managing multiple and
* Demonstrated high level of integrity and ethics in handling all
* Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire
confidence and trust from stakeholders.
* Ability to communicate with a diverse range of employees and
* Ability to identify and work with new and emerging
* Ability to work on call and outside of normal business hours
when the need arises.
* Skill in the use of Microsoft Office applications, in particular
PowerPoint and Word, and publishing software.
*DESIRED (but not required)*:
* Experience drafting deliverables for federally funded programs.
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is
an*equal opportunity employer*
evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status,
sexual orientation, domestic partner status, disability, or veteran
Boulder, Colorado, United States
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net