[ES_JOBS_NET] PostDoctoral Fellow-GeoScience Lab-ICRAF Nairobi
L.A.WINOWIECKI at CGIAR.ORG
Mon Mar 18 02:09:12 MDT 2013
The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is in the process of recruiting for a
*Post-Doctoral Fellow – Geoscience* *Lab* to be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
We would greatly appreciate your assistance in bringing this announcement
to the attention of friends and colleagues who may be qualified candidates.
The vacancy announcement is found on our website *
http://www.worldagroforestry.org/about_us/careers. * **
*VACANCY: Post-Doctoral Fellow – Geoscience Lab*
*Main purpose of the job*
Focusing primarily on smallholder adaptation to climate change, the main
purpose of the job is to conduct remote sensing analysis, spatial modelling
and related research linking biophysical monitoring approaches to
indicators of agricultural sustainability.
*Duties and responsibilities*
- Conduct research on the opportunities and limitations of remote sensing
and GIS-based data for smallholder climate change adaptation planning.
- Develop knowledge products that can be published in peer reviewed
journals and disseminated for practical programming purposes.
- Contribute towards the development of a near-real-time geoscience
laboratory at ICRAF that utilizes remote sensing and rigorous statistical
approaches for smallholder adaptation planning under different scenarios.
*Qualifications and experience*
- PhD in ecology, hydrology, soil science or related field.
- Strong background in GIS, remote sensing and spatial modelling.
- Advanced knowledge of the R statistical environment.
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English, and good
speaking capacity in French.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and good personal organization
- Ability to show initiative and work independently.
- Proven analytical skills in GIS, remote sensing analysis and spatial
modelling using open source tools.
- Experience with Python and Java programming.
- The capacity to communicate with colleagues in a multidisciplinary and
multicultural research team.How to apply
*To apply, Prepare:*
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position, and your
- Detailed and up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone numbers,
email addresses, and fax details, if available.
*Address these to:*
The Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) via email to:
icrafhru at cgiar.org. Indicate “Application for Post-doctoral Fellow –
Geoscience Lab” on the application letter. Applications will be considered
until 29 March 2013. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting
the above requirements will be contacted.
To learn more about us, visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
*Leigh Winowiecki, Ph.D.*I Soil Scientist I *International Center for
Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)*
Nairobi, Kenya I Email: <http://www.worldagroforestry.org>
L.A.WINOWIECKI at cgiar.org
CIAT ONLINE: Web site <http://www.ciat.cgiar.org/Paginas/index.aspx> I
Blog <http://ciatlibrary.blogspot.com/> I
I Multimedia <http://www.ciat.cgiar.org/Newsroom/Pages/multimedia.aspx>
*CIAT - eco-efficient agriculture for the poor*. CIAT is a member of the
Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net