[Ecsa] Al Cooper's seminar - 1:30pm in FL2-1022 Large Auditorium

rce rce at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 28 06:06:12 MDT 2014

Dear All,

      Don't miss the opportunity to come to today's ECSA
seminar/discussion by Al Cooper on how to write proposals to secure grants.

For those of you who can't make it, the link for the live webcast is:
http://www.fin.ucar.edu/it/mms/fl-live.htm

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Rebecca

Monday April 28th at 1:30pm in FL2-1022 Large Auditorium
Title: Writing Proposals to Secure Grants
William A. Cooper
Senior Scientist Emeritus, NCAR

I will present opinions, developed during a varied research-scientist
career, on what helps a proposal succeed and what advice might be useful
to early-career investigators. My advice is based primarily on my
experience as a program office at the NSF but also from other roles in
my career, including as a university faculty member, an NCAR scientist,
and for almost 10 years a postdoc advisor as director of the Advanced
Study Program. The talk will have three main parts: how to develop the
project idea, how to develop a detailed project design, and how to avoid
common problems when writing the proposal. My comments focus also on
suggested ways to use grants to further your career, how to learn about
grant opportunities, and how to communicate with program officers. I
hope that this talk might be useful to those who expect to seek grants
to fund parts of their research..