[Dart-users] CESM multi-instance fix for CESM 1.3.x and newer

Nancy Collins nancy at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 3 14:51:16 MDT 2014

hello dart-users,

if you are running DART with a coupled CESM multi-instance
configuration AND you're using a CESM release numbered 1.3.x
or later, keep reading.  otherwise, feel free to delete this note.

the CESM developers have discovered a configuration in which
their multi-instance code was not coupling correctly.  this bug
was introduced in version cesm1_3_beta03.  their description of
affected cases is:

"Any multi-instance configuration that had models instance running
concurrently with the coupler and atm would have this same problem."

in the current dart distributions we only have configuration/build
scripts for CESM 1.1.1 and some support for 1.2.1.   so we are unaware
of any DART users who might be affected by this problem.   if you
are running DART with a CESM version later than 1.2.1 or 1.2.2, please
contact us and we will put you in touch with the proper CESM folks
to understand if your configuration is affected.

thanks,
nancy