[Dart-users] asking for input about DART obs_seq_netcdf files

Soyoung Ha syha at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 8 09:59:18 MST 2010

Tim,

So you give us three options to choose from for the location of obs
error variance in the obs sequence file.
1. The original way to put it at the end of all available copies.
2. New method to put it right after prior/posterior mean/std but
before any ensemble prior/posterior mean/std if any.
3. New new method to move it all the way front right after the
observation.

I guess this issue came up while you were working on the obs sequence
files for my ensemble forecasting data. (Thanks!)
Given that we will potentially have more interest in expanding our
ensemble data assimilation to ensemble forecasting and in obs-space
verification for the real-obs cases,  the current way (i.e., option 1)
doesn't look ideal anyway.
If it is time we can make a change, it looks to me more natural to put
the observation error right after the observation regardless of our
filter design. And I think it's a good thing to update our hard-wired
scripts in a more generalized way.
Although option 2 may be a safe choice at present as we don't have
many users who worked with ensemble observations yet, I would be happy
to modify my scripts (if any) for option 3.

Soyoung